Eloisa to Abelard 简介:

来源: 美语世界 2008-01-07 06:39:50 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2442 bytes)
Eloisa to Abelard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Published in 1717, Eloisa to Abelard is a poem by Alexander Pope (1688–1744). It is an Ovidian heroic epistle inspired by the 12th-century story of Eloisa's (Heloise's) illicit love for, and secret marriage to, her teacher Pierre Abélard, perhaps the most popular teacher and philosopher in Paris, and the brutal vengeance her family exacts when they castrate him, not realizing that the lovers had married.

After the assault, and even though they have a child, Abélard enters a monastery and bids Eloisa do the same. She is tortured by the separation, and by her unwilling vow of silence, arguably a symbolic castration, a vow she takes with her eyes "fix'd" on Abélard instead of on the cross (line 116).

Years later, she reads Abélard's Historia Calamitatum (History of my Misfortunes), originally a letter of consolation sent to a friend, and her passion for him reawakens. This leads to the exchange of four letters between them, in which they explore the nature of human and divine love in an effort to make sense of their personal tragedy, their recognizably incompatible male and female perspectives making the dialogue painful for both.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

In Pope's poem, Eloisa is in anguish over the powerful, almost powerful feelings she still has for Abélard, especially in her dreams, and by the realization that, now a eunuch — something he regards as a mercy that freed him from the "contagion of carnal impurity," (Letter 4)[1] — he could not return her feelings even if he wanted to; and so she begs, not for forgiveness, but for forgetfulness.

No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole;
Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll!
Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me,
Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee.

Lines 207–210 were spoken in the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which borrowed line 209 as its title:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd ...

The line "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" is echoed by Byron in "Eternal Spirit of the chainless Mind", the opening line of his The Prisoner of Chillon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eloisa_to_Abelard

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”