约翰孙给柴斯菲德的信

来源: 走马读人 2012-02-02 09:20:49 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4420 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 走马读人 ] 在 2012-02-03 06:09:33 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Samuel Johnson's letter to Lord Chesterfield
(7th February 1755)
To The Right Honourable The Earl Of Chesterfield
My Lord,
I have been lately informed, by the proprietor of The World, that two papers, in which my Dictionary is recommended to the public, were written by your lordship. To be so distinguished is an honour which, being very little accustomed to favours from the great, I know not well how to receive, or in what terms to acknowledge.

When, upon some slight encouragement, I first visited your lordship, I was overpowered, like the rest of mankind, by the enchantment of your address, and could not forbear to wish that I might boast myself Le vainqueur du vainqueur de la terre;—that I might obtain that regard for which I saw the world contending; but I found my attendance so little encouraged, that neither pride nor modesty would suffer me to continue it. When I had once addressed your Lordship in public, I had exhausted all the art of pleasing which a retired and uncourtly scholar can possess. I had done all that I could; and no man is well pleased to have his all neglected, be it ever so little.

Seven years, my lord, have now passed, since I waited in your outward rooms, or was repulsed from your door; during which time I have been pushing on my work through difficulties, of which it is useless to complain, and have brought it, at last, to the verge of publication, without one act of assistance (1), one word of encouragement, or one smile of favour. Such treatment I did not expect, for I never had a patron before.

The shepherd in Virgil grew at last acquainted with Love, and found him a native of the rocks.

Is not a patrons my lord, one who looks with unconcern on a man struggling for life in the water, and, when he has reached ground, encumbers him with help? The notice which you have been pleased to take of my labours, had it been early, had been kind; but it has been delayed till I am indifferent, and cannot enjoy it: till I am solitary, and cannot impart it; (2) till I am known, and do not want it. I hope it is no very cynical asperity not to confess obligations where no benefit has been received, or to be unwilling that the public should consider me as owing that to a patron, which providence has enabled me to do for myself.

Having carried on my work thus far with so little obligation to any favourer of learning, I shall not be disappointed though I should conclude it, if less be possible, with less; for I have been long wakened from that dream of hope, in which I once boasted myself with so much exultation,

My Lord,
Your lordship's most humble,
most obedient servant,
SAM. JOHNSON. (3)

约翰孙于一七五五年二月七日写给柴斯菲德那封著名的信:
  伯爵大人阁下:
  近承世界报社长见告,介绍拙编字典之两篇文字乃出自阁下之手笔。愚过去从无受名公巨卿垂青之经验,今遇此殊荣,诚不知如何接受,何辞以谢也。
  忆昔在轻微鼓励之下,初趋崇阶,余与世人无异,窃为阁下之风度所倾倒,不禁沾沾自喜,自以为“世界之征服者之征服者”亦不过如是矣;举世竟求之恩宠,余从此可以获得矣;但余之趋候似不受欢迎,自尊与谦逊之心均不许我继续造次。昔曾公开致书阁下,竭布衣之士所能有之一切伎俩以相奉承。余已尽余之所能为;纵微屑不足道,但任何人皆不愿见其奉承之遭人轻蔑也。
  阁下乎,自余在尊府外室听候召见,或尝受闭门羹之滋味以来,已七年于兹矣!在此期间,余备尝艰苦,努力推进余之工作,终于将近杀青,曾无一臂之助,无一言温勉,无一笑之宠。此种遭遇非余始料所及。因余以前从无保护人也。
  魏吉尔诗中之牧羊人终于认识爱情之真面目,发现爱情乃如山居野人一般之残酷。
  所谓保护人者,阁下乎,岂见人溺水作生命挣扎而无动于衷,方其抵岸,乃援以手耶?今谬承关注余之艰苦工作,设能早日来到,则余受惠不浅矣。但迟迟不来,今则余已不复加以重视,无从享受;余已丧偶,无人分享;余已略有声名,不再需要。对于不曾从中受益之事不表感激,关于上天助我独力完成之事不愿世人误为得力于保护人,此种态度似不能视为狂傲无礼也。
  余既已进行工作至此阶役,曾无任何学术闻人眷顾,则于完成工作之际如遭受更少之眷顾,假使其为可能,余亦将不觉失望;因余已自大梦初醒,不复怀有希望,如
  往昔之怀抱满腔热望,自命为
  阁下之最低微最忠顺之门下士
  约翰孙
  这一篇文情并茂的文字一直被后人视为近代文人的“独立宣言”。因为这是最富有戏剧性的对于保护人制度的反抗。此后保护人制度即逐渐被社会的广大读众所代替。作家不必再看保护人的颜色,但是要看读者大众的颜色!这一封著名的信直到一七九○年包斯威尔才把它正式发表,售价半基尼。
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”