健康报道:Mindfulness Meditation(音频文字)

来源: 婉蕠 2014-08-08 07:44:51 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (20425 bytes)

健康:Mindfulness Meditation to Reduce Tension(音频)ZT
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/content/mindfulness-meditation-tension-stress/1972116.html
http://av.voanews.com/clips/LERE/2014/08/05/2a129b2e-054e-4bb9-8c9a-c6590a216390.mp3?download=1

From VOA Learning English, this is the Health Report.

Have you heard of “mindfulness meditation?”

Meditation, or deep breathing and quiet thinking, used to be found only at spiritual places and yoga centers

But these days mindfulness meditation can be found almost everywhere in the United States – from offices to schools, from prisons to the military.  

New Age People

People who meditate, practice yoga and similar exercises are sometimes calledNew Age.”  They are usually healthy eatersMany New Age people do not eat meatThey may follow Eastern religions such as Taoism or Buddhism

A New Age person may talk about being “in the moment.”  And that is at the heart of the Mindfulness Meditation Movementthinking about the present, not the past and not the future.

The mindfulness movement has been around for many years.  But now it is being called a revolutionSupporters say this revolution may reduce tensions, stress and improve the body, mind and spirit.

For example, think about what can be a sometimes tense situation – a visit to the doctor, especially the dentist.

Sitting
in a dentist’s chair can make a person feel worried and tenseYou might be surprised to hear that the dentist can feel this way too

Alona Bauer is a dentist in Washington, D.C.  She describes how her working environment can be tense.

So, there is definitely stressYou work in a small environment and it’s very exact.  It’s very precise.  Plus you’re managing the patient as a comfort.  So, there’s great stress right there.”

Ms. Bauer practices mindfulness meditation at a yoga center in Washington, D.C. to help to reduce her nervous tension or stress.

Hugh Byrne has been teaching mindfulness meditation since 2000.  He says being mindful is all about thinking about the present.

So as you sit here or lie here, see if you can open to whatever you're experiencing right now …”

Mr. Byrne says that some forms of meditation are about clearing the mind of all thoughtsMindfulness meditation, he says, is not.  It is about being aware of the here-and-now.  

Unplugging Plays An Important Role

Americans work more and have less vacation time than people in most other developed countries.  Daily travel to work and school can be long and difficult

The pressures of emails, texts and social media make it harder and harder to unplug or shut off. But shutting off is part of the “Mindful Revolution.”    

Critics, however, saymindful meditation” is a temporary popular interest, what we call a “fad.”  They say it ignores the moral substance of the ancient Buddhist tradition of meditation.

Mr. Byrne does not agree.  He says mindfulness meditation is a way for anyone to reduce pressure, tension and stress.  He calls it a broad doorway.

“ … a broad doorway for people to come in … people who might say, ‘I’m not really interested in Buddhism or Eastern spirituality.  But I do want less stress.  I do want less anxiety.’”

Spiritual vs. Religious

Studies show that young Americans increasingly consider themselvesspiritual but not religious.”  Mr. Byrne says mindfulness is for them as it is for Ms. Bauer who grew up in the former Soviet Union.  She says religion was not part of her childhood.  But now she says she is thinking of trying Buddhism.

And how is the stressed out dentist after half an hour of mindfulness meditationMs. Bauer says the exercise helped stop the noise, or as she puts it, “chatter,” in her head.

“It was just chatter, you know, chatter, chatterEnergy, very jittery energy, inside my body (and) tension and now I feel like almost I’m speaking slower, my body’s more relaxed, my heartbeat is slower.                   

And that is the VOA Learning English Health Report.  I’m Anna Matteo.

Do you practice some form of meditation
How do you live in the present?  Or are you stressed out and need a mindfulness mediation break

Words in the News

movementn. the act of moving or a way of moving; a series of acts or efforts to reach a goal

revoltv. to protest violently; to fight for a change, especially of government.  "Revolution" is the noun form of "revolt."

tenseadj. having fear or concern; dangerous; opposite of calm.  "Tension" is the noun form of "tense."

pressuren. the force produced when something is pushed down or against something else

所有跟帖: 

Let's take a mindfulness mediation break~~~ -京燕花园- 给 京燕花园 发送悄悄话 京燕花园 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/08/2014 postreply 16:08:12

Let's do it. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/09/2014 postreply 08:08:07

Let's meditate by thinking about the present, not the past and n -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (79 bytes) () 08/08/2014 postreply 18:51:36

Good idea. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/09/2014 postreply 08:08:26

Mindfulness meditation is really good for reducing tensions. Tha -南山松- 给 南山松 发送悄悄话 南山松 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/09/2014 postreply 04:45:44

Yeah, it is. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/09/2014 postreply 08:08:51

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!