周末了,读一段VOA~

来源: laiyin 2011-01-14 23:36:41 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1457 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ laiyin ] 在 2011-01-17 05:21:55 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Almost every language in the world has a saying that a person can never be too rich.
Americans, like people in other countries, always want more money. One way they express this is by protesting that their jobs do not pay enough. A common expression is, "I am working for chickenfeed." It means working for very little money. The expression probably began because seeds fed to chickens made people think of small change. Small change means metal coins of not much value, like nickels which are worth five cents.
An early use of the word chickenfeed appeared in an American publication in nineteen thirty. It told about a rich man and his son. Word expert Mitford Mathews says it read, "I'll bet neither the kid nor his father ever saw a nickel or a dime. They would not have been interested in such chickenfeed."
Chickenfeed also has another interesting meaning known to history experts and World War Two spies and soldiers.
Spy expert Henry S. A. Becket writes that some German spies working in London during the war also worked for the British. The British government had to make the Germans believe their spies were working. So, British officials gave them mostly false information. It was called chickenfeed

所有跟帖: 

Hi, laiyin, how are you doing? -纾珈- 给 纾珈 发送悄悄话 纾珈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2011 postreply 13:20:43

I'm fine, Thank You! Have a great weekend~ -laiyin- 给 laiyin 发送悄悄话 laiyin 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2011 postreply 16:53:05

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”