习语音频:Thick and Thin等&You Are My Best Friend(歌曲视频)

来源: 珈玥 2015-10-12 14:11:17 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (20611 bytes)

习语音频:Thick and Thin等&You Are My Best Friend(歌曲视频)ZT

http://av.voanews.com/clips/VLE/2015/09/24/f690b263-68ce-4c18-b821-ac059dc4529a_hq.mp3?download=1

http://learningenglish.voanews.com/content/article/2977108.html

Now, the VOA Learning program Words and Their Stories.

Language changes over time. Many words and expressions have changed over the centuries.

But the wordfriend” has stayed the same. It is a rare example in the English language. The meaning and usage of “friend” has stayed unchanged for hundreds of years.

Well, that is until 2005.

That was when the social website Facebook started using the word as a verb. Now, you canfriendsomeone or “unfriendthem, as the case may be. However, be advised, using friend as a verb only works when talking about Facebook. Of course, that may change some day too.

But for now, the correct word for making friends is the verbbefriend.” For example, you can use a sentence like, “She befriended many Korean students while living in China.”

Speaking of making friends, it is easy to be friendly when things are going well for you. Maybe you have lots of money, a nice house and a fast car. No wonder people like you!

But what happens when you run into trouble? Maybe you lose your job or wreck your fast car? When you run into real trouble and need real help, you quickly learn who your real friends are.

In American English, we often use the saying, “A friend in need is a friend indeed.” When you are in need, the person who helps you through the difficult times is, indeed, a friend.

There is also some debate about this expression. Some think it is not “indeed” but “in deed,” as in a person’s actions. The meaning does not change much, but the expression using “in deedstresses the action of helping a friend in trouble.

The words tight and thick are often used to describe really strong friendships. If you are tight with someone, you are close with them. For example, I know two people who have been friends since grade school. They are super tight.

A good friend will see you throughthick and thin,” meaning both the good times and the bad.

One of my favorite expressions to describe close friends is to say they are “thick as thieves.” This may sound as if the friends are living a life of crime. Not so. But the saying may have its roots in criminal circles, which gives this expression a somewhat risky feeling.

Some word historians say this expression began in 17th century England within thieving communities. Thieves would often have secret languages to communicate. Todaythick as thievesdescribes people who understand, trust and defend one another.

Speaking of crime, we sometimes joke that two people are partners in crime. Again, it doesn’t mean they are actually criminals. This expression means that you always know what the other person is doing.  

Two people do not have to be together all the time to be called two peas in a pod. Peas growing inside a pod are often very similar. So, people who are like peas in a pod have a lot in common.

If two people are always together they are said to be attached at the hip, or joined at the hip, even if they are very different from each other.

Some people get along so well, it’s as if they were made to be together. A dated expression that describes this relationship is to go together like a horse and carriage. These days Americans rarely say that. Instead, you might saythey go together likemilk and cookies.” Or you could use other foods that go well together like, “mac-n-cheese,” “salt and pepper,” or “peanut butter and jelly,” which is very American.

But if you do not get along with someone then you are like oil and water. In other words, you don’t mix.

And that brings us to enemies, which will be the subject of another Words and Their Stories.

I’m Anna Matteo.

Song: You're my Best Friend

Artist: Queen

Ooh, you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you, you're all I see
Ooh, you make me live now, honey
Ooh, you make me live

Oh, you're the best friend that I ever had
I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh, you're my best friend

Ooh, you make me live

Oh I've been wandering round
But I still come back to you
In rain or shine
You've stood by me girl
I'm happy at home
You're my best friend

Ooh, you make me live
Whenever this world is cruel to me
I got you to help me forgive
Ooh, you make me live now, honey
Ooh, you make me live

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
Ooh, you're my best friend

Ooh, you make me live

I'm happy at home
You're my best friend
Oh, you're my best friend
Ooh, you make me live
You're my best friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZpZQG2z10

美语坛相关栏目

所有跟帖: 

I like VOA Learning program very much, thanks 珈玥 for sharing:) -南山松- 给 南山松 发送悄悄话 南山松 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/13/2015 postreply 17:45:33

Same here. Songsong, have a nice Wednesday. -珈玥- 给 珈玥 发送悄悄话 珈玥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/14/2015 postreply 08:26:32

Besides friends in real and virtual worlds, VOA Words and Their -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (82 bytes) () 10/15/2015 postreply 15:13:28

It has been my long time friend,too. LOL... -珈玥- 给 珈玥 发送悄悄话 珈玥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/15/2015 postreply 16:42:56

Best friends forever! -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/09/2016 postreply 15:58:39

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!