体育报道:Does He Have What it Takes? 他有夺冠的实力吗?(听力)

来源: 婉蕠 2009-08-07 16:40:49 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (7694 bytes)
体育报道:Does He Have What it Takes? 他有夺冠的实力吗?(听力)ZT

Does He Have What it Takes? 他有夺冠的实力吗?
Andrew Murray
Murray says "I believe I can win Wimbledon"
It is that time of year again, everyone is eating strawberries with cream, drinking Pimms with lemonade and watching the world's best tennis players battling for supremacy at the Wimbledon Tennis Championship.

However there is something very different this year. Britain has a high-ranking player who just might have a chance of winning the title. The British public are very excited and are eagerly following the progress of 22-year-old Andrew Murray.

Murray is currently ranked third in the world for men's singles, behind the legends that are Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. This is an even more impressive feat when you consider that he only turned pro in 2005.

He currently holds three Masters titles which include a win over Nadal in Rotterdam in February of this year. So it is not surprising that the public's expectations are high. Everyone is waiting to see if Murray can reach and win the 2009 Wimbledon final. Murray clearly thinks he can win. In an interview published on his official website, he says:

"I believe I can win Wimbledon. That's not changed since the first match. But, like I said, I'm gonna have to play great tennis to do it."

Winning Wimbledon would be a feat for any tennis player but if Murray wins, he would become the first British male to take the title since Fred Perry in 1934. And let's hope a win will put a smile on his face.

Renowned for being somewhat dour and not very chatty, Murray is fairly guarded about his personal life. What we do know is that he comes from a very sporty family.

His older brother is a successful tennis player and took the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon in 2007. His mother is a tennis coach in Scotland and his grandfather used to play football for the Scottish teams Hibernian and Stirling Albion.

His sporty family have fully backed and helped develop Murray's tennis career. But it remains to be seen whether this young Scot has what it takes to get to the final and become a Wimbledon champion.

At least we won't have to wait too long to find out. The 2009 men's final is scheduled for 5 July.

GLOSSARY 词汇表 (收听发音, 请单击英语单词)

strawberries with cream
鲜草莓加奶油

battling for supremacy
争夺最高头衔

chance
机会

legends
传奇人物

turned pro
转为专业球员

expectations