APAD:The apple of my eye

来源: 移花接木 2023-10-27 11:00:09 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6695 bytes)

The apple of my eye

The apple of one's eye originally referred to the central aperture of the eye. Figuratively it is something, or more usually someone, cherished above others.

What's the origin of the phrase 'The apple of my eye'?

The apple of my eye'The apple of my eye' is an exceedingly old expression which first appears, in Old English, in a work attributed to King Aelfred (the Great) of Wessex, AD 885, titled Gregory's Pastoral Care.

Much later, Shakespeare used the phrase in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, 1600:

Flower of this purple dye,
Hit with Cupid’s archery,
Sink in apple of his eye

It also appears several times in the Bible; for example, in Deuteronomy 32:10 (King James Version, 1611)

He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye.

and in Zechariah 2:8:

For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.

The phrase was known from those early sources but became more widely used in the general population when Sir Walter Scott included it in the popular novel Old Mortality, 1816:

"Poor Richard was to me as an eldest son, the apple of my eye."

See also - phrases coined by Sir Walter Scott.

所有跟帖: 

The apple of my eye是不是就是眼中的瞳仁? -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/27/2023 postreply 11:16:35

Great to know the origins! 'Aperture' is a nice word. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/27/2023 postreply 11:18:07

你是我眼里的光:)many thanks to Hua Shuai:) -忒忒绿- 给 忒忒绿 发送悄悄话 忒忒绿 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/27/2023 postreply 14:09:00

This is the apple of my eye, camera eye, that is. -waterfowl- 给 waterfowl 发送悄悄话 waterfowl 的博客首页 (98 bytes) () 10/27/2023 postreply 14:19:11

Now I know I have an apple in my eye, besides one in my neck -godog- 给 godog 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/27/2023 postreply 14:41:31

Isn't it a walnut down in your throat? -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/28/2023 postreply 05:01:28

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”