deep-rooted meme itself, DNA-printing-like: Eye-opening! Thank y

来源: TJKCB 2021-03-31 17:58:51 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (15109 bytes)
回答: Youtube: Richard Dawkins | Memes | Oxford Union.LYJiang2021-03-31 16:24:54

the deep-rooted meme itself, DNA-printing-like: Eye-opening! Thank you!

"I always get transported when I reflect on the idea that we (our selves) are not "thinking thoughts", but rather "thoughts are thinking us", i.e. ideas (memes) relate to our minds as genes relate to our bodies, i.e. it's not personalities that are the agents of cultural evolution, but the memes. On my money (I teach acting) it is a very viable and useful idea. In practice, it translates as "You are what you think". And most actors know that. So for "common" people, there might be a problem looking at yourself this way. Because a "self" is a very deep-rooted meme itself, and its main function is to fight back all the memes that endanger its existence. So... good luck transcending yourself. ;)"

". A style of carpentry or woodcarving, which is copied from a master to an apprentice and then the apprentice becomes a master of the next generation and passes on his skill to an apprentice of the next generation, anything like that, provided that something is accurately copied down generations. When I use the word generation, I mean it in a metaphorical way to understand… Generation could mean I whistle a tune and then you pick it up and whistle the same tune, that’s one generation. So I’m using generation in that metaphorical sense. Where ever you have memes, that are copied from brain to another, you potentially have the possibility of a kind of natural selection… Now it’s a big step to say that there actually is natural selection, presumably think of with the analogy of the tunes some tunes are more likely to be whistled and copied than others because they are just better tunes, and they are actually more catchy.”"

"The term is new, but the idea isn’t. Rene Gerard’s idea on Mimesis - human’s copying each other’s behavior and values - goes back decades. It seems like Dawkins’ ideas are very similar to Gerard’s, and I guess that only makes it more true, and not that he decided not to give credit to him.

"Are ideas really copied from one person's brain to another? What about the person receiving the meme? Don't they have any say in whether or not it's copied? An idea that fits into your world view and supports it, becomes incorporated, and may become one of your beliefs. It's just more evidence that you're right. However, an idea that doesn't sound right to you gets recorded merely as "I've heard of that" but not incorporated into your model of the world. Particular ideas or memes will take hold in people who are predisposed to them. You don't always need a particular idea. But when someone says something that plugs a hole or solves a problem for you, you get an instant gratification. When this solves a problem for many people, the meme can go viral and multiply and spread as far and as fast as the communication network allows. So, it's not an intrinsic property of the idea (like the molecular structure of a virus), but how well it fits into a gap in understanding, and how many people need to fill the gap at that particular time."

DNA, DNA Equivalent? Another kind of replicator? A Meme 2:07 Copying an idea from 1 brain to another, like a virus 3:20 Generations 4:00 Catchy tunes 5:10 Mutation rate too high for memes 6:56 A game of telephone ? - Mutation allows for an order to be observed. Exact copies make it more difficult to detect an order/sequence.

所有跟帖: 

Glad u found it helpful. Dawkins' "Selfish Gene" is good, too. -LYJiang- 给 LYJiang 发送悄悄话 LYJiang 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2021 postreply 20:22:11

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”