地道美语:Out of the Woods(视频讲解)

来源: 婉蕠 2015-08-04 20:24:59 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4550 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 婉蕠 ] 在 2015-08-05 11:58:21 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Welcome to English in a Minute. You might have heard this idiom in Taylor Swft's new song: "Are we out of the woods yet?" Is Taylor really singing about the trees? Let's listen to these friends to find out.

------How is your grandmother? I heard she is in the hospital.
------Thank for asking. I visited her this morning and doctors say that she is out of the woods. She is feeling much better, and she is going to be able to go home soon.

"Out of woods" means someone is longer in danger. Sometimes it is used to describe the fact that a person is no longer in danger of dying. But it could also be used when talking  about a person--or-- even a company that has got out of difficulty situation. And that's English in a Minute.

一. 与wood相关的习语及测试

1.cannot see the wood for the trees (见树不见林)
Prov. Cannot perceive the overview or important things because of concentrating too much on details.

2. Fields have eyes, and woods have ears (隔墙有耳)     
Prov. Even though you are outside in an apparently empty landscape, someone may be eavesdropping on you.

3. neck of the woods (指特定地点)
 A neighborhood or region

4. out of the woods (脱离险境,脱离危险, 摆脱困境)
out of danger or out of difficult situation

二 . Quick Quiz

1. Multiple Choices  

Our operations manager can't see the wood for the trees because

a. he doesn't know where to look

b. he's too deep in the forest

c. he's too involved in day-to-day matters

2. Fill in the blanks

A). If you're in our  (  ) of the (  ), please stop by.

B).  Dialogue

Jill: You said you had a secret. Tell me.
Jane: Not here.
Jill: But there's nobody else in the park.
Jane: (  )(  )(  ), (  )(  )(  ) (  ).

C). Doctors say that my mother is (  ) of the (  ).

(答案见下)

Answers:

1. Multiple Choices 

C. he's too involved in day-to-day matters.

2. Fill in the blanks.

A). If you are in our (neck) of the (woods), please stop by. 

B). Jane: ( Fields )(have   )( eyes ), (and  )(woods )( have ) (ears  ). 

C). Doctors say that my mother is (out )of the ( woods).

Taylor Swift Talks About "Out Of The Woods"  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-M5SW8QvmY

所有跟帖: 

That's situational English: Make sense only in the situation. Th -TJKCB- 给 TJKCB 发送悄悄话 TJKCB 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/06/2015 postreply 11:19:55

Yeah,it is.Thanks for your comments. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/06/2015 postreply 20:01:06

I learned several idioms this time, thanks 婉蕠 for sharing:) -南山松- 给 南山松 发送悄悄话 南山松 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/06/2015 postreply 17:14:06

Songsong, my pleausre. It is fun to learn together. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/06/2015 postreply 20:01:50

The US job market seems to be out of the woods. -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/07/2015 postreply 19:35:29

That is good news. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/10/2015 postreply 12:43:25

加跟帖:

• 标题:
  • 内容(可选项): [所见即所得|预览模式] [HTML源代码] [如何上传图片] [怎样发视频] [如何贴音乐]