【中西节日】Volunteers in Santa Hats

来源: 作舟 2013-12-26 12:12:24 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (0 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 作舟 ] 在 2013-12-26 18:23:59 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

It was not a sunny day. The traffic had slowed down after the usual rush hour. A group of Latino volunteers were collecting donations for the homeless. They were a group of energetic, but gentle souls who roamed these American streets looking for helping hands.

When some people smile or laugh, they bring out the inner sun in you. That’s what they did to me. The streets with tall office building towering above looked bleak, but these humble faces brought rays of kindness to some darkest corners of the city.

Most of them talked in Spanish only. One of the guys, who wasn’t wearing a Santa hat, acted like the group leader or guide. He knew the streets and the joints where cocktails and cigars were being consumed and top dollars might change hands in a matter of seconds.

With kids in tow, they were not out in the cold looking for “deals” of some useless products and gadgets. They gave me an instant impression that they had no need to “fake a holiday” for themselves or pretend and lie in awkward conversations. For me, they were the real Santas carrying big garbage bags in order to comfort and help those who needed the most.

During the holiday season, I have tried my best to avoid those places where numb and stressed “consumers” battling the crowds and pressures they voluntarily inherited or they had no way and guts to refuse such a trend. Shopping spree after shopping spree, “holiday shoppers” seemed to be on a different kind of mission.  

Photo by ZuoZhou, 2013

The group leader chatted with me in English. He told me this was not a “religious act” like some Mexicans do during the Christmas season. In the Bible, Jesus once looked for refuge and shelter, but many doors shut in front of his face. No, this was not like that, he said. “We’re just looking for donations to help out the homeless during the cold holidays.” I wanted to walk with them a little longer, but they had reached the end of the day’s route.

They reminded me so much of the people I work with, immigrants who came here from all continents and islands. We often discuss and debate on topics such as freedom, money and cultural differences regarding certain values and traditions. They have endless stories to share, hardships and violence I have never imagined that had shaped their lives and spirits, and they talked about it with little complaint and few regrets.  

I couldn’t help asking them if they would like to have a picture taken together. I told them who I am and what I do, and they generously and effortlessly smiled in front of the camera even though they had walked around the city for hours. Even though we were perfect strangers and my Spanish was too poor to communicate with them, we felt the common rewards in the most ordinary way.

Neon lights looked magical when the evening fog began to engulf the city. I thanked them for letting me walk with them and sharing their joy and holiday spirit. I could still see their smiling faces and hear their laughter hours after we bid goodbye.

ZuoZhou, 2013

我制作的短视频

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

1 -Marauders- 给 Marauders 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/26/2013 postreply 22:05:41

说来话长,如想提高写作 -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (46 bytes) () 12/27/2013 postreply 11:01:53

图文视频并茂,真挚感人的好文,谢参加活动,祝作舟节日快乐新年吉祥。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/27/2013 postreply 08:45:35

You do the same! Thank you very much!! -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/27/2013 postreply 11:02:55

A great post on a great deed! Thanks for sharing! -冲浪潜水员- 给 冲浪潜水员 发送悄悄话 冲浪潜水员 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2013 postreply 20:02:46

Thanks for your feedback & Happy New Year! -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/30/2013 postreply 13:49:17

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”