Hilary Clinton Q & A , 第六部分

来源: 2msmom 2012-07-08 18:55:40 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3428 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2012-07-09 08:19:29 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

欢迎大家批评指教。

QUESTION: Imam Mohamed Magid from ADAMS Center in Virginia. My question for you, Madame Secretary: When you talk about social networking, we’re trying to address the issue of youth in the West, Muslim youth. Would you be open to the youth forum to speak about foreign policy? Because one of the reason that youth be radicalized, they don’t have a way to express themselves when they disagree with the United States Government or their own government overseas. Would you be open to those ideas?
SECRETARY CLINTON: Yes, we would. In fact, we – in the wake of the President’s speech in Cairo, we have been expanding dramatically our outreach, particularly to Muslim youth. I agree with you completely, sir, that not only young people in the Muslim world, but young people across the world are increasingly disconnected from authority, from government, from all kinds of institutions that have been historically the foundations of society, because they are so interconnected through the internet, something that my generation can’t really understand.
In America, the average young person spends eight hours a day with media. The internet, cell phones, television – I mean, you think about that. Eight hours a day. That’s more time than they spend in school, that’s more time than they spend with their families. It’s often more time than they spend asleep.
So when you think about the power of this information connection to young people, I don’t think it should cause panic in people my age. I don’t think we should begin trying to stop it and prevent it. We ought to figure out how better to utilize it. You go back to the millennia; how were values passed around? Sitting around a fire, how were values communicated? In the homes by parents and grandparents. Now, values are being communicated by the internet, and we cannot stop it.
So let’s figure out how better to use it, participate in it, and particularly to focus on the needs of young people. They’re often looking for information. They’re looking for answers. At least until now, in most cultures that I’m aware of, despite all of the time that young people spend with technology, when they’re asked who do they look to for guidance about values, they still say their families. But if families increasingly feel disconnected from their highly connected young people and don’t know what their young people are doing online, then we see the problems that can result.
And there are so many manipulators online right now, not just stoking the anxieties and the fears of Muslim youth, but youth everywhere, defined by all kinds of characteristics.
So we have our own work to do, not just through our government but through our families, through our education systems, and every other institution to make sure we understand the power of this technology and to engage with young people through it and about it.

所有跟帖: 

wow. 读得好。 very impressive. -jingbeiboy- 给 jingbeiboy 发送悄悄话 jingbeiboy 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/08/2012 postreply 19:56:49

谢谢京北美言 -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 07/09/2012 postreply 09:04:40

Super! muslim is a bit off. -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (365 bytes) () 07/09/2012 postreply 06:05:14

谢谢新声。Always very helpful. Very appreciated. -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 07/09/2012 postreply 09:03:56

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”