五百基础词汇的使用和练习(30)

来源: EnLearner 2012-04-22 19:14:11 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3410 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2012-04-23 05:09:28 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

"You cram these words into mine ears against
The stomach of my sense."
Shakespeare. The Tempest

Words to Learn This Week

depict
mortal
novel
occupant
appoint
quarter
site
verse
morality
roam
attract

Read the following story to see how the new words are used in it.

Bible Zoo

One of the most popular tales of the Bible depicts the great flood that destroyed every mortal except Noah and his family and the animals on his ark. Should there be a repetition of that disaster, there is one place where all the biblical animals are already gathered. The man to be commended for this novel collection is Professor Aharon Shulov, a zoologist at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.

Professor Shulov appointed himself a committee of one to search out the 130 creatures mentioned in the Testament. Among the occupants of this zoo are the crocodiles, camels, apes, peacocks, deer, foxes, and sheep, some of whom had to be imported from other lands. They are settled in suitable quarters on a twenty-five acre site in Jerusalem.

Visitors to the zoo not only get to view and feed the animals, but they are also treated to quotes from Bible verses that encourage the study of the Good Book and teach morality amidst the waddling of the ducks and the wailing of the wolves. Not surprisingly, the children have the final word at a special corner of the zoo, called the Garden of Eden, where animal cubs roam freely, attracting the attention of hundreds of youngsters who visit daily.

Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.

01.The judge __________ to this case must be a person of justice and honesty.

02.I knew that the culprit was in __________ terror of being caught.

03.The __________ of the collapsed building were dazed by the tragedy.

04.How can you _________ in a favorable light a person who betrayed his country?

05.Let us explore another __________ for the hospital where the population is not so dense.

06.A good line of __________ is thrifty with words and bursting with feeling.

07.Troops were __________ in the city in a vain attempt to keep order.

08.The price he __________ for the car was essentially the same as that of his competitor.

09.Seeing the movie based on the __________ does not exempt you from reading the book.

10.The death of the millionaire _________ a bewildering number of hopeful beneficiaries.

11.The new _________ has not won unanimous acceptance; there are those who prefer the traditional ways.

12.When I ________ abroad, I come across many historic sites and structures.

所有跟帖: 

谢谢YuGong.明天作这个练习 -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/22/2012 postreply 19:43:36

Thanks YuGong -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (1261 bytes) () 04/23/2012 postreply 17:39:32

Very good. Thanks for your participation! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (98 bytes) () 04/23/2012 postreply 21:16:09

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”