A gift serves everybody in our family-Thanksgiving activity repo

来源: rockcurrent 2011-11-16 15:15:35 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5788 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ rockcurrent ] 在 2011-11-16 16:52:11 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

As promised to participate in the hollaween and thanksgiving activity in MYSJ, a long time, I am considering for something or anything I could do to fulfill the original promise, and also to not betray myself. There are lots of topics I can write about or based on some facts to make up a touching story, even stories, but that is out of my style. To my feeling, the topic has to be related to thanksgiving, of course need to related to a personal experience, specifically, mine. OK, I made my mind up and here goes the story: a gift for everybody in our family.

This is my wife’s idea: we are going to have a gift that will fit everyone in this family. Please stop here fore 3 seconds and think about: what is a gift that serves everyone’s joy if you plan to buy for your family? Our answer is: buying a new house. 

We lived in a townhouse before. The small community we lived is self-operated, being taken cared of by the members who live there. We have an annual meeting to decide the operating board members and therefore everybody knows each other. Everybody’s concern and opinion are seriously considered and addressed in the annual meeting. Correspondingly, the condominium law needs to be modified every year, adding new rules and regulation to the previous version. After years of accumulation, we have a best version of condominium law in the world. The astonishing point is that we are still continually improving the law to make it perfect by adding more detailed regulations. I am fine with it. However, my son was more constricted by the new rules and he started to hate the house he previously preferred and chose. Obviously, my son desperately needs a new house or even an old one, as long as he can get out of here!

Every woman likes a new big house, no exception with my wife. Then she would have more place to rearrange everything to her appetite. So my wife also needs a new house. 

I like new, big, every luxury house too, were the mortgage the same as the previous one or ever less. I do not actually need a new big house. However, I have shortcoming and weakness as a man, especially as a handyman with the desire to show off. Therefore I need a solution and a place to show off my skill, the talented ability. However, building a new house is out of the ability by one man, specifically to a man without any experience on building, that being out of my field. So a new house with an unfinished basement, without driveway, no landscaping will be suitable to me to make the inner desire to be fulfilled. Therefore, a house with forementioned properties would be a proper gift for a handyman, such as me. From that thanksgiving till now, during a period of one and half a year, by working on weekends and after dinner, I finished our 1500 SF basement by myself according to the blueprint designed by my son. The main accomplishments are: three bedrooms, one with a walk-in closet; a four-piece bathroom, all work done by myself; a living room finished with floor and a natural gas fireplace. I did not install the fireplace, which is not allowed by the code, but I finished the fireplace; paved a driveway, finished the front and back yards with grass and a greenhouse, installed fence. From the inner project I learned and practiced: framing, drywall, tapping and mudding, installing tile, baseboard, carpet and floor, spraying ceiling texture, pipe fitting, electrical works including outlets, three-way switch wiring, and recessed spot lights, installing interior doors, door trim and window trim, sanding, painting, insulating. From the exterior project: paving and exercising. If there is anyone have question about paving, asking me. I guarantee you will have a professional advice. For sure, the thing really count to me is the fulfillment of my desire as well as the applause from friends, my son, my wife, admitting my works are above the level of professional. Now I am confident that building a house from the ground is not a problem for me. Many skills were proved and developed and lots of knowledge learned after this innovation project finished. I am happy with the gift, and my deepest thanks go to my wife, my son and my friends.  By the way, if you have question about interior work in your house, please don’t hesitate to ask me. I would be glad to help. For sure it would be better if you can pay for the advice. Just kidding, it will be free, absolutely free.

(PS: Sorry for not presenting the pictures, otherwise it will be considered as making a show of myself. It is necessary to remain as a humble person. Thanks for reading.)

所有跟帖: 

没图才是吹牛,有图有真相!哈哈,你是你老婆的好老公,你儿子的好爸爸。鉴定完毕。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:24:19

有图有真相!是啊! -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:33:04

图在哪呢? -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:33:59

At MYSJ, words are among the most important, at least important -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:41:23

at least important than picture -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:45:50

To make it more interesting,picture a plus。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:47:17

OK, Thank you , I will put it in my blog -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 15:57:31

handy 牛人!very impressed! -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (30 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 16:16:01

谢文版支持!我在哪都不是问题,可以飞,可以drive吗! Thanks. -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 16:37:12

这个BSO太血腥了! -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (109 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 17:39:35

嗯? 我有说去年thanksgiving吗? -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 18:32:14

人说到底都是以我为中心。你看你的文章,说是全家的礼物, -cha-cha- 给 cha-cha 发送悄悄话 cha-cha 的博客首页 (75 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 18:08:47

服了你! sigh!中国有句话怎么说的?记不起来了! -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (81 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 18:28:16

哈哈,对不起。I TOTALLY DESERVE那句话。 -cha-cha- 给 cha-cha 发送悄悄话 cha-cha 的博客首页 (77 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 19:58:33

回复:A gift serves everybody in our family-Thanksgiving activity r -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (141 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 19:33:42

I greatly appreciate your comments, which is the same from my be -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (375 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 11:22:16

best friend -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 11:25:00

handy 牛人!very impressed! -非文学青年- ♀ (zt) -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2011 postreply 21:08:47

谢愚公支持! -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 07:45:15

Very nice! -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (123 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 06:10:52

Wow, 你真能干。幸福的一家人,感恩节快乐。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 08:26:49

谢贝卡支持,以前是有眼不知泰山哈!,在此一并谢过声姐! -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/17/2011 postreply 10:26:29

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”