My dictation:

来源: NewVoice 2011-08-30 12:51:43 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3170 bytes)
回答: My translation: YuGong. you are killing me.NewVoice2011-08-30 02:25:47

Choosing an occupation

Dear Sire,

I am very sorry that the pressure of the other occupations has prevented me from sending an earlier reply to your letter.

In my opinion, a man’s first duty is to find a way of supporting himself, thereby relieving other people of the necessity of supporting him. Moreover, the learning to do work of practical value in the world in the exact and careful manner is of itself a very important education, the effects of which make themselves felt in all other pursuits. The habit of doing that which you do not care about when you would much rather be doing something else is invaluable. It would save me a frightful waste of time if I ever had it drilled into me in youth.

Success in any scientific career requires unusual equipment of capacity, industry, and energy. If you possess that equipment, you will find leisure enough after your daily commercial work is over to make an opening in a scientific rank for yourself. If you do not, you’d better stick to the commerce. Nothing is less to be desired in the fate of young man, whom is the Scottish proverb says: "in trying to make spoon spoils a horn", and become mirror and hang ( 滥竽充数的食客) in literature or in science, when one might be a useful and valuable member of the society in other occupations.

I think that you father ought to see this letter.

Yours faithfully,

T. H Huxley

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”