my translation homework

来源: 同学小薇 2011-08-29 18:49:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5350 bytes)
回答: 【翻译听写】练习之十五 -- 选择职业EnLearner2011-08-28 20:02:08

Dear Sir

My apologies for not replying sooner as I have been busy with various matters recently.  In my view, the most important responsibility of a human being is to be self-dependent so as to not becoming the burden of others. In addition, learning to conduct meaningful work diligently and dutifully is by itself an important education which holds its effects on other careers. It is a valuable ability of doing what you are not really interested in while your preference is something else. If I had had this good habit when I was young, I would have avoided huge waste of time.

Any achievement in science acquires various outstanding talents, diligence and energy. If you possess those qualities, you will have enough time to pursue career in science outside of your daily business routine. However if you do not have those qualities, you are better off staying in the business world. The most undesirable thing in the world is none other than what’s said in a Scottish proverb – made no spoon while horn wasted. A mediocre in the field of art and science might be a valuable individual of the society if he pursues other careers.

I think this letter should be read by your father.

亲爱的阁下:

近来忙于各种事务,未能及早复信,深感抱歉。

依 我看来,一个人的首要职责是设法自立,以免除别人对他生活的负担。此外,学会严谨而审慎地从事社会上有实际价值的工作,其本身就是一种非常重要的教育,其 效果必将体现在所有别的事业上。在你宁愿做其他事情的时候,却仍能够从事你不感兴趣的工作,这种习惯是十分可贵的。要是我在年轻时养成了这种习惯,就可以 避免时间上惊人的浪费。

任何科学事业上的成就,都需要具有不寻常的才能、勤勉和精力。你若具有上述资质,你在日常商业工作之余,将有足够的闲暇为自己在科学界觅得立足之地。你若不具有那种资质,还是一心经商为宜。天下最不足取的事情,莫过于一个年轻人如同苏格兰谚语所说的那样,"匙子没做成,倒毁了羊角,"成为在文学或科学领域里滥竽充数的食客,要是去从事其他工作的话,他或许会成为社会上有用和有价值的一员。

我认为此信应请你父亲一阅。

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”