Good Samaritan

来源: tingfeng 2012-11-17 13:16:37 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6383 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ tingfeng ] 在 2012-11-19 18:11:49 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Good Samaritan

A voice message from a real Good Samaritan, who provided direct mouth to mouth CPR to an old lady at a local bingo hall the night before, announced the start of my day. She tried to bring back an old lady collapsed right in front of her prior to the arrival of paramedics. She was waiting for further direction since she was exposed to the blood of the lady.  It must have been a long tough night for her: she might have been eagerly crying for emotional support, or she might have tossed about in bed wondering the unknown risks of getting infected if there was any.

While worshiping her braveness, I telecontacted her that she needed to see a doctor at emergency room as soon as possible with a brief explanation on her rights as a Good Samaritan. She thanked for my help and hanged up on me abruptly, the click sound cut off my most sincerely wishes to her.  My mind momentarily drifted away from the blind tone in my head set to an incident that occurred years ago.  A regret, to be more precise, deeply imbeds in my mind for years that re-surfaces vividly every time that something is life and death related.

There was a later afternoon, warm and humid, heavy clouds overcastted the sky and made the city grey and depressed. Fully loaded buses were taking people of all kind of walks to where they wanted to be for the end of the day during the rush hour.

A guy at his later 50’s was getting off at a bus station same time with me where I catched a local bus to my suburban neighborhood. He tumbled off the bus until he got on the bus station; he pushed his right shoulder against the door frame of the glass shelter attempting to regain his stability. He was so pale, or even gray-bluish, heavily sweating; his breath was quick and shallow. I tentatively asked him: “Are you ok?”  He tried very hard to catch his breath without any eye contact, his eyebrows were tightened in a knot, then he muttered “I’m … ok.” in a fainted voice. With his wobbly gates, he managed to stretch out his left arm to a two-step-away bench inside the shelter, while his left palm was rubbing on his chest as if he could suppress his discomfort or pain underneath his chest wall. He sank himself onto the bench leaning on the glass wall, where provided him the best support ever.

I had a gut feeling that something was wrong. But everything happened so quickly within a few seconds, when I was still trying to figure out what was going on with him, my bus was coming. “I am ok.” had been rewinded and replayed in my mind that echoed with my assumption that he might have been ok if I left. I took it as a granted permission, and reassured myself nothing was serious, you could go now. When I got on my bus, I felt so empty for not knowing how to help him appropriately which left me a long lasting feeling of guilt and regret.

Now, I know, he was experiencing heart attack, the well-known silent killer in the world. How I wish I could have been knowledgeable enough to recognize the symptoms of heart attack. How I wish I could’ve called 911 regardless.

The idea of becoming a Good Samaritan myself is still far-fetched in my professional or personal life. Yet, my duty is to promote the early recognition and early interventions for people in an emergency situation.

所有跟帖: 

a side note: -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (1235 bytes) () 11/17/2012 postreply 13:40:58

You must have a heart of gold. -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (2605 bytes) () 11/17/2012 postreply 19:46:14

回复:You must have a heart of gold. -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (676 bytes) () 11/17/2012 postreply 20:18:33

appreciate your modification so much, -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (158 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 07:18:20

You do have a heart of gold。:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/17/2012 postreply 20:24:29

OK: Lei Feng and 2 more Feng have a heart of gold。:) -走马读人- 给 走马读人 发送悄悄话 走马读人 的博客首页 (36 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 05:56:01

you are right, and you too. -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 07:19:40

:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 10:06:10

thank you,everyone has a heart of gold indeed! -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 07:19:08

看了城头的一篇文章有感而发, 谢谢大家忍受我的有限英文表达. -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 07:23:37

You are very kind. 谢撰文分享。 -斓婷- 给 斓婷 发送悄悄话 斓婷 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 08:45:48

谢谢班主鼓励! -tingfeng- 给 tingfeng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/18/2012 postreply 10:30:58

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”