Tell that native speaker

来源: hammerheadshark 2012-09-23 16:52:38 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2448 bytes)
回答: what I meant by "看错人了” was非文学青年2012-09-23 16:03:20

1. There is no significance in adding a "the" there. If there is, tell me then what you have gained or how that makes you more grammatically correct.

2. Don't change anything inside quotation marks in editing, as it might not be from the writer himself.

You said you were not sure, in fact, you are very sure there should be a "the". Otherwise, what are we arguing here?

The Chinese example you gave is a general grammatical rule. But, even in Chinese, there are many disputes. I would not go into that area. There is only one criterion for me: what is significance in doing that?

I never doubt your intention. What I found is almost all Chinese are quite obsessed with English grammar, as "I" was in my joke. But, Wenqing,you got take it to the next stage, focusing on ideas, way of thinking, logic etc in your writing. Don't think yourself as an ESL. I am not saying grammar is not important, but beyond certain point, it is quite meaningless. As in the case of "the", if there is no significance, leave it out, because it is a distraction from your main idea.

A good writing strikes a chord in you and makes you think. What makes The Great Gat*****y so great? Certainly not grammar. Who is going to be the judge of grammar? And how far do you want to take it? Don't shut up, please, keep it going.

所有跟帖: 

let's talk about this offline or discuss it in the future. -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (718 bytes) () 09/23/2012 postreply 17:36:42

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”