英语词汇:Tuckered out

来源: 紫君 2008-01-05 23:47:30 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (7500 bytes)
筋疲力尽:Tuckered out

累了吗?一起唱首欢快的澳大利亚民歌Waltzing Matilda(《华尔兹•玛狄尔达》):“Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee, And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag, You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me”……这支曲子是第27届悉尼奥运会上的闭幕歌曲,由于歌词采用了大量澳洲俚语,理解起来稍有难度。我们今天谈的“tuckered out”(筋疲力尽的)先从这支曲子讲起。

歌中这段是说一个swagman(四处流浪的打工者),在水塘边顺手偷了一只前来饮水的羊,并把它藏在自己随身携带的tucker bag(长背包)里。

Tucker在这里指“装食物的袋子”,是澳洲的剪羊毛工随季节找工作时必备的家什,这层含义取自18世纪tuck的俚语用法“大吃一餐”,如:After that long walk we did not need any encouragement to tuck in.(经过长途跋涉,我们无须别人说声“请”便大吃起来)。现在,tucker也可代指“食物”,请看一句澳大利亚口语:The cooker's got your tucker waiting.(厨师已准备饭菜只等你吃了)。

到19世纪中期,tucker开始用来形容“狗或马饥肠辘辘时干瘪的肚子”,由此引申为人或动物“憔悴”或“瘦骨嶙峋”的模样,而tuckered out(极度疲惫)就源于此,举个例子:I am tuckered out from walking.(我走得筋疲力尽。)

最后,顺便介绍一下这首澳大利亚民间歌曲。Waltzing指“四处流浪”,而Matilda是日耳曼语,指战争随军妇,慢慢延伸为“晚上取暖”,后来进一步延伸指“军衣和军毯”。因为军队在行军的时候,战士把铺盖卷扛在肩上,所以,这里的Waltzing Matilda则是指“扛着铺盖卷到处找工作的打工仔”。

(ZT)

来源: [ 美语世界 ] *梦笔生花* 于 07-11-21 01:21:39

http://web.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=mysj&MsgID=14254

Waltzing Matilda简介及歌词
来源: 美语世界 于 07-11-21 03:59:49
http://web.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=mysj&MsgID=14256

Waltzing Matilda
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Waltzing Matilda" is Australia's most widely known folk song, and one that has been popularly suggested as a potential national anthem.

The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker making a drink of tea at a bush camp and stealing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker, he drowns himself in a small lake and goes on to haunt the site.

The original lyrics were written in 1895 by the poet and nationalist Banjo Paterson, and it was first published as sheet music in 1903. Extensive folklore surrounds the song and the process of its creation, to the extent that the song has its own museum, the Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton, Queensland.

Lyrics

There are no "official" lyrics to "Waltzing Matilda", and slight variations can be found in different sources. This version incorporates the famous "You'll never catch me alive said he" variation introduced by the Billy Tea company. Paterson's original lyrics referred directly to 'drowning', which the tea company felt was too negative.

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled
"Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong,
Up got the swaggy and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

Down came the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,
Up came the troopers, one, two, three,
"Who's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"

"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
"Who's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",

Up got the swaggy and jumped into the billabong,
"You'll never catch me alive," said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you passed by that billabong,

Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
And his ghost may be heard as you passed by that billabong,

Plot and Details
The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker making a crude cup of tea at a bush camp and stealing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker, he drowns himself in a small lake and goes on to haunt the site. The lyrics contain many distinctively Australian words, some now rarely used in Australian English outside this song. These include:

swagman
a man who travelled the country looking for work. The swagman's "swag" was a bed roll that bundled his belongings.

waltzing
derived from the German term auf der Walz, which means to travel while working as a craftsman and learn new techniques from other masters before returning home after three years and one day, a custom which is still in use today among carpenters.

Matilda
a romantic term for a swagman's bundle. See below, "Waltzing Matilda."

Waltzing Matilda
from the above terms, "to waltz Matilda" is to travel with a swag, that is, with all one's belongings on one's back wrapped in a blanket or cloth. The exact origins of the term "Matilda" are disputed; one fanciful derivation states that when swagmen met each other at their gatherings, there were rarely women to dance with. Nonetheless, they enjoyed a dance, and so they danced with their swags, which was given a woman's name. However, this appears to be influenced by the word "waltz", hence the introduction of dancing. It seems more likely that, as a swagman's only companion, the swag came to be personified as a woman.

Another explanation is that the term also derives from German immigrants. German soldiers commonly referred to their greatcoats as "Matilda," supposedly because the coat kept them as warm as a woman would. Early German immigrants who "went on the waltz" would wrap their belongings in their coat, and took to calling it by the same name their soldiers had used.

billabong
an oxbow lake (a cut-off river bend) found alongside an undulating river.

coolibah tree
a kind of eucalyptus tree which grows near billabongs.

jumbuck
a large difficult to shear sheep, not a tame sheep. Implies that the sheep was not 'owned' by the squatter or regularly shorn, thus not able to be stolen by the swagman.

billy
a can for boiling water in, usually 2-3 pints.

tucker bag
a bag for carrying food ("tucker").

troopers
policemen.

squatter
Australian squatters started as early farmers who raised livestock on land which they did not legally have the right to use; in many cases they later gained legal use of the land even though they did not have full possession, and became wealthy thanks to these large land holdings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda

所有跟帖: 

很详细,又学到一个; 谢谢。 -nowhere88- 给 nowhere88 发送悄悄话 nowhere88 的博客首页 (14 bytes) () 01/07/2008 postreply 09:41:05

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”