我的翻译听写练习之十五作业 -- 选择职业

来源: beautifulwind 2011-09-01 22:12:22 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4025 bytes)
回答: 【翻译听写】练习之十五 -- 选择职业EnLearner2011-08-28 20:02:08

选择职业
  托马斯·亨利·赫胥黎

伊斯特本,荷达斯里亚
                             一八九二年十一月五日
亲爱的阁下:
  近来忙于各种事务,未能及早复信,深感抱歉。
  依我看来,一个.人的首要职责是设法自立,以免除别人对他生活的负担。此外,学会严谨而审慎地从事社会上有实际价值的工作,其本身就是一种非常重要的教育,其效果必将体现在所有别的事业上。在你宁愿做其他事情的时候,却仍能够从事你不感兴趣的工作,这种习惯是十分可贵的。要是我在年轻时养成了这种习惯,就可以避免时间上惊人的浪费。
  任何科学事业上的成就,都需要具有不寻常的才能、勤勉和精力。你若具有上述资质,你在日常商业工作之余,将有足够的闲暇为自己在科学界觅得立足之地。你若不具有那种资质,还是一心经商为宜。天下最不足取的事情,莫过于一个年轻人如同苏格兰谚语所说的那样,"匙子没做成,倒毁了羊角,"成为在文学或科学领域里滥竽充数的食客,要是去从事其他工作的话,他或许会成为社会上有用和有价值的一员。
  我认为此信应请你父亲一阅。
                                  你的忠实的
                                  T.H·赫胥黎

翻译作业

Dear Sir,

I have been busy doing all kinds of things recently. I am deeply apologized for not being able to write you back as early as possible.

In my point of view, the first duty of an human being is to be self-supporting, which may lessen the burden to others. In addition, learning to undertake practical valuable work carefully and deliberately per se is a very important education. Its effect must be embodied in all of the other careers. When you would rather do other things, the habbit being able to do the work you are not interested in is very valuable. If I would have had this habbit when I was young, I would avoid wasting time significantly.

Any scientific achievements require extraordinary ability, diligence and energy. If you posses the above asset, you will find a space in the scientic field during your spare time after your daily business work. Otherwise, you had better focus on running your business. The most inadvisable thing in this world is not worse than that a young man, such as in the Scotland proverb saying that" the spoon was not made but the cavel was destructed", becomes a dependent in the literary or scientific fields. If he persued other careers, he might be a useful and valuable person in the society.

I think your father should read this letter.

Sincerely yours

听写作业:

Choosing an occupation

Dear sir,

I am very sorry that the pressure of other occupations has prevented me from sending an earlier reply to your letter. In my opinion, a man's first duty is to find a way of supporting himself thereby relieving other people of necessacities of supporting him. Moreover, the learning to do work of practical value in the world in the exact and careful manner is other self very important education. The effect way make themselves feel in all other field persues. The habbit of doing that which you do not care about when you would much rather be doing something else is invaluable. It would have saved me a frightful waste time if I have ever had drilled into me in use.

Success in any scientic career requires unusual equipment of capacity industry and energy. If you posses that equipment, you will find lesure enough after your daily commercial work is over. To make an opening in the scientific rank for yourself. If you do not, you had better stay to commers. Nothing is better desired in the fate of young man who was Scotish proverb says in trying to make a spoon spoil a horn. and become a mirror hanging on in literature or in science. When it might have been useful and valuable to sciety in other occupations. I think that your father ought to see this letter.

Yours faithfully,

T.H Huxley

所有跟帖: 

语法很有进步。 -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (618 bytes) () 09/02/2011 postreply 19:44:59

谢谢愚教授!万分感谢! -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (308 bytes) () 09/02/2011 postreply 20:25:24

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”