《朝花夕拾》80年代冰箱潮:大寒话冰王,清塘、瓦湖和查河 (续完)

来源: 白梅格 2022-01-20 13:12:38 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13328 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 白梅格 ] 在 2022-01-20 13:14:55 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

《朝花夕拾》80年代冰箱潮:大寒话冰王,一百多年前开创全球冰块贸易的波士顿冰王Frederic Tudor

https://bbs.wenxuecity.com/myhouse/11259040.html

承接上文继续话冰,续篇主要是与冰王采冰相关的清塘、瓦湖和查河。

一百多年前领军冰块国际贸易的先驱冰王Frederic Tudor, 其发家致富的历史极简概括大致如下(参考网上资料小结): 祖辈自英国移民美国,父辈已经飞黄腾达他爹哈佛毕业曾为乔治华盛顿和约翰亚当斯的手下干将,他哥哈佛毕业点拨他从新英格兰湖冰中开发商机,而冰王自己并非学霸10多岁辍学热衷经商,但是背景人脉也颇起作用,比如通过他的友人帮助得以开采到Fresh Pond的天然湖冰(中文名清塘),那里是冰质上乘的冰源之一,梭罗在《瓦尔登湖》里这么写道:The told me that they had some in the ice-houses at Fresh Pond five years old which was as good as ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_Pond_(Cambridge,_Massachusetts)

In the mid-19th century, the Pond was privately owned and home to a flourishing ice-harvesting industry, with ice shipped as far as EuropeChina, and India.[2] Entrepreneurs began cutting ice from Fresh Pond in the 1820s.The horse-drawn Charlestown Branch Railroad expanded to connect the Fresh Pond icehouses of Frederic TudorAddison Gage, and Nathaniel J. Wyeth with several wharves in Charlestown.The first ice shipment was in December 1841. The railroad would later get steam locomotives and become part of the Fitchburg Railroad.

瓦尔登湖,估计是最为著名的冰王采冰之地,原因自然是梭罗的那本经典传世的宝书《瓦尔登湖》,他对湖冰是这么赞美的:like the water, the Walden ice, seen near at hand , has a green tint, but at a distance is beautifully blue, and you can easily tell it from the white ice of the river, or the merely greenish ice of some ponds, a quarter of a mile off.

对采冰瓦尔登湖书中也有内容涉及,比如:Thus for sixteen days I saw from my window a hundred men at work like busy husbandmen, with teams and horses and apparently all the implements of farming。

瓦湖之冰远销外地和异国印,梭罗在书中如此描述:Thus it appears that the sweltering inhabitants of Charleston and New Orleans, of Madras and Bombay and Calcutta, drink at my well.....The pure Walden water is mingled with the sacred water of the Ganges. With favoring winds it is wafted past the site of the fabulous islands of Atlantis and the Hesperides, make the periplus of Hanno, and, floating by Ternate and Tidore and the mouth of the Persian Gulf, melts in the tropic gales of Indian seas, and is landed in port of which Alexander only heard the names.

查尔斯河,冰王的冰块贸易时代中担负着重要角色:简而言之作用有三---- 沿河的冰块交易驿站;运输冰块交通要道;品质不那么纯净的河冰作为销售和储藏阶段维护冰块,保持那些高档食用湖冰的冷度和卫生。

附图1-3: 清塘Fresh Pond, 现在是饮水水库铁网围着。

图4-10:瓦尔登湖。

图11-25:查尔斯河。

所有跟帖: 

水质看着真好。 -烹小闲- 给 烹小闲 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/20/2022 postreply 13:15:39

我已经看了你推荐的《剃头匠》,很有意思发人深省,徐缓平淡不急不燥。另外他家冰箱是80年代广州名牌万宝冰箱。 -白梅格- 给 白梅格 发送悄悄话 白梅格 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/20/2022 postreply 13:19:10

是。这部电影拍得高级。哪里的小民,都有人性的弱点,世俗的味道,这是缺点,但缺点绝对掩盖不了人性的光辉。 -烹小闲- 给 烹小闲 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/20/2022 postreply 13:27:30

加跟帖:

当前帖子已经过期归档,不能加跟帖!