Death and Life (Chinese vs Western)

来源: Crystaldowns 2010-01-12 11:57:47 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2073 bytes)
Today's discussion reminds me of one book I read in college, it was about different views towards life and death, to some extends, these views dictate how people make their decisions.

In Chinese culture, death has never been a good thing, it is the end of life, the end of happiness...So nobody really wants to die, living a long life is one of the ultimate happiness in peoples' lives. Since long long ago, Chinese tries all remedies with one purpose to live longer, until this day, people would take all kinds of pills to make them younger, healthier, and live longer of course.

In Western culture, on the other hand, death is not a bad thing, and if you have been a good and honest person all your life, death is the new beginning of the Eternal happiness in the Paradise. Therefore, people are not so afraid of death. To rest in peace, or maybe to reunite with the loved ones could even be something to look forward to...

I still remember the very first funeral I went to, that was my great grandma's, I was maybe 5 or 6 at the time and everybody cried, sobbed, immersed in tremendous sadness. We were truly sad and missed her...yet it didn't dawn on any of us that this could be a form of happiness for her too. She didn't have to suffer from lung cancer anymore, she didn't have to be mad at her hu*****and's betrayal anymore, may her rest in peace!

Later on, I went to a few funerals of my friends and coworkers loved ones, I was surprised to find out that people were not so sad, they exchanged jokes about the lost one, they listened to music that he/she once loved, and once even the widow joked that her hu*****and left early to buy a condo in the Paradise for them...we all laughed and thankful for all the good memories! I started to think, maybe death is not that bad, it could be a new beginning too..

Anyways, I'm definitely not trying to judge, who am I to judge others? All I am trying to say is, people come from different background and culture, let us be open minded and embrace the diversity!

所有跟帖: 

中国农村或小城办葬礼,还有请“专业”哭丧的来营造气氛,然后就是聚餐:) -BIGFOOT- 给 BIGFOOT 发送悄悄话 BIGFOOT 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/12/2010 postreply 12:02:42

这现在都是产业化的,只要选好套餐付钱,一切都有人安排 -白豆豆- 给 白豆豆 发送悄悄话 白豆豆 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 01/12/2010 postreply 12:14:51

什么叫"So nobody really wants to die”. Who wants to die? -20146- 给 20146 发送悄悄话 20146 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/12/2010 postreply 12:04:42

西方人也不觉得死是好事,但是能勇敢面对 -xiamo- 给 xiamo 发送悄悄话 (56 bytes) () 01/12/2010 postreply 12:05:36

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”