【大妈广播】将“不怕丢人”进行到底---分享中译英第一句话的收获

来源: 非文学青年 2011-04-12 23:55:04 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (41866 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 非文学青年 ] 在 2011-05-09 22:19:10 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

This afternoon, I was typing up this post on what I learned from this translation practice when I saw XiaoQian’s post of being “不怕丢人” when learning English. This idea came up. I thought:  I am not a fast Chinese typer, and I want to practice English writing and reading. Why not just write this up in English and read it?  So here is the result:

In this session, I am going to talk about what I learned by comparing my translation with Hilary’s original writing. As I don’t want this recording to drag too long, I am just going to cover only the first sentence today.

First of all, throughout the passage, I used the present tense but should have used the past tense instead, as this is, after all, part of an autobiography.  My translation is grammatically correct, but in term of the context,  it isn’t appropriate to use the present tense.

Here is the  first sentence in Chinese:

丈夫和妻子之间的这种对话应该与其他任何人都无关,这只是我们自己的事.

The conversation between my hu*****and and I should be of no concern to others, but only to us.

In a better world, this sort of conversation between a hu*****and and wife would be no one’s business but our own.

美坛奇葩 corrected me on the “I” used after between, as “I” is the object of “between”.  That’s a very good point.  I don’t know what I was thinking,  but it just sounded right at that time.

“In a better world“ does not exist in the Chinese sentence. Whoever did the translation, I think it was a very good choice, better than, say, 在一个更好的状态下,在一个理想的世界里, etc. Insteadonly应该 was used in the main sentence. So when I translate it back, the phase couldn’t be recovered. Without a direct translation of this phrase, we lost the frustration Hilary expressed  with it, but I think it is a better Chinese sentence in general(in the sense that it doesn’t sound too much like a “translated” sentence).

“Not…but”pattern was used here  in the original. I used the same pattern, but  the original sentence is far simpler and more powerful.

If I revise my translation, I will say,

The conversation between my hu*****and and me should be of no concern to anyone but us.

所有跟帖: 

请大家不吝赐教,关于发音习惯问题 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (752 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 07:26:57

"my husband and I" sounds weird,r u referring to you and your hu -billnet- 给 billnet 发送悄悄话 billnet 的博客首页 (341 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 10:17:31

bill人跟声音一样:宽容仁厚 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (208 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 10:55:59

请大妈将【丢人广播】进行到底! -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (306 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 11:07:08

额滴神啊,这是俺知道的二姐吗? -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (146 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 11:19:37

你説的确实已经很好了,呵呵~好奇的问问,你的英语打算学到啥程度呀? -雨打兔子窝- 给 雨打兔子窝 发送悄悄话 雨打兔子窝 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 12:44:54

口语达到小千的程度是我的奋斗目标! -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 13:04:44

回复:请大妈将【丢人广播】进行到底! -cutestream- 给 cutestream 发送悄悄话 cutestream 的博客首页 (83 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 11:37:04

是滴是滴,先练着读了两三遍,练得时候修改了一些。 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 11:40:33

看来你家娃很听话呀,能让你即工作又有大量时间上网。 -cutestream- 给 cutestream 发送悄悄话 cutestream 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 11:46:57

娃比较天使,不过我现在是half -time上班, -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 13:12:31

bravo!!! 无论说写都如此流畅自然.PFPF... -好学又好问- 给 好学又好问 发送悄悄话 好学又好问 的博客首页 (535 bytes) () 04/13/2011 postreply 17:44:27

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”