It is a tough one, even though we could figure out what "the oth

来源: 千与.千寻 2010-12-09 18:51:39 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1782 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 千与.千寻 ] 在 2010-12-10 04:28:16 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

And this is my humble opinion, for your reference only. 

个人拙见,仅供参考。

My first understanding is derived from Mr.and Mrs.Browning's background: the spiritual influence on their work. The link of Wikipedia reveals that "Much of Barrett Browning’s work carries a religious theme" and "She believed that Christ's religion is essentially poetry—poetry glorified. She explored the religious aspect in many of her poems, especially in her early work, such as the sonnets."So was her hu*****and, Mr.Browning. You can sense some hint from his work as well. 

If you think the above reasoning is way too farfetched, then lets return to the general cultural background. "The other world" has always been an allusion (an overtone) of "paradise" in the occidental world. Because "love" is emphasized in the quotation, so it won't be "hell" for sure. 

Then, "the other world" could be paradise, heaven, kingdom of God.........there're many many names of this paradise, where we'll become eternal. 

But love is forever eternal, this world or the other world. The western culture believes that love is the powerful force that keeps us alive,even after death. 

剩下的怎么翻译就看你了,直译“另一个世界”还是按照历来的习惯译。

不过这真是个beautiful piece......I've also heard that the book fell from the shelf on its own~~很美的故事,可惜,他们在一起生活的日子还是短了些。小时候看过童话Pied Piper of Hamelin,后来才知道这是Robert Browning从民间童话故事中采集来的,呵呵~

Have a good night!

所有跟帖: 

we could figure out what "the other world" is -千与.千寻- 给 千与.千寻 发送悄悄话 千与.千寻 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 18:52:30

You really did a lot of work. -yuanxiang- 给 yuanxiang 发送悄悄话 yuanxiang 的博客首页 (133 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 19:20:16

实际上,诗怎么翻译都有道理,但一定要美啊 -千与.千寻- 给 千与.千寻 发送悄悄话 千与.千寻 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 19:22:45

那就是说原文怎么解释都有道理? -yuanxiang- 给 yuanxiang 发送悄悄话 yuanxiang 的博客首页 (33 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 19:48:38

一首诗就像一副画,一个人有一个欣赏的角度,没法框架起来 -千与.千寻- 给 千与.千寻 发送悄悄话 千与.千寻 的博客首页 (92 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 20:04:50

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”