翻译练习

来源: 马下人 2015-04-01 11:30:09 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1327 bytes)

Lostalley in his following up post quoted a fragment of line from Herman Melville‘s novelette.  It was challenging to me so I found the complete paragraph and spent some time to figure out the meaning of it.  Here is what I got.  It was a good translation practice.  I share my translation here and I welcome discussions.

“The stranger had given a blithesome promise, and anchored it with oaths, but oaths and anchors equally will drag; naught else abides on fickle earth but unkept promises of joy. Contrary winds from out unstable skies, or contrary moods of his more varying mind, or shipwreck and sudden death in solitary waves — whatever was the cause, the blithe stranger never was seen again. ”

“那陌生人留下了让人充满希望的诺言, 并一再发誓要承诺它, 但誓言和承诺是一样靠不住的; 在这个多变的世界没有什么不变, 如有, 只是那些无法兑现, 让人空欢喜的诺言, 无法预测的天空中刮来的逆风, 或他原本多变的心中出现的另一种心情, 抑或不幸翻船, 死于突然出现的孤立波 - 无论是什么原因, 那乐观的陌生人再也没有出现。”

所有跟帖: 

魂断孤海沉舟 -聚曦亭- 给 聚曦亭 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/01/2015 postreply 17:36:59

译得好!要是把最后一句颠倒一下秩序,可能会更逻辑。 -wave_forest- 给 wave_forest 发送悄悄话 wave_forest 的博客首页 (374 bytes) () 04/04/2015 postreply 13:58:12

谢谢评论。 About the "solitary waves"-- -马下人- 给 马下人 发送悄悄话 马下人 的博客首页 (857 bytes) () 04/06/2015 postreply 13:24:53

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”