One poem, two stories

来源: 马下人 2015-03-04 09:46:27 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (24031 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 马下人 ] 在 2015-03-04 12:36:36 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

One poem, two stories

Story one:  man dumped woman

A woman was playful in the beginning of the relationship.  Although the man liked her playful demeanor initially but eventually he dumped her.   She was showing remorse in the poem for not showing her honesty at the very beginning.

There few difficulties in this interpretation.  First the man apparently liked her playful demeanor—that won him to her.  Why broke?   No quality of the man was even mentioned.   The speaker mentioned that if she fell in love with the man right away (presently) and went into physical contact directly she could have him ‘remained’.  What a nice love?   She was dumped because of her foul play.  If this is the case how she left an image of an ‘austere, supreme’ girl in his memory’s halls?  Does the poem overly show her remorse?

In this interpretation “certain stakes I gained” has to be explained as the goodies that she got from this man.  But what are they?

Story two: woman dumped man

A woman was playful in the beginning of the relationship.  Although the man liked her playful demeanor but she decided to walk away from him because she sees this man has no depth.  She mocked this man in the poem.

Below are the supports of this interpretation although the logic breaks here and there too.

First, the overall mocking tone.   The speaker said the girl should fall in love right away and “caught your hand against my cheek and breast” and “Spread like a chart”.  But should she do so?  Is this a proper way to get into a true love?  Second, the man’s quality.  The only place in the poem talking about the man is that the man liked what the girl did initially.   This line delivered his quality.  The similar previous bad experiences woke her up and she decided waking out the relationship, which left an ‘austere, supreme’ image of her in man’s memory.   The overall tone of the poem says that the girl did not love the man.

In this interpretation “certain stakes I gained” can be explained as the lessons from previous love experiences.  

I have to confess that in either explanation there has broken logics.  But a poem is poem.  We cannot expect everything in a poem has clear logic.  But I see an overall mocking tone instead remorse in the poem.   This is why I translated it in the way presented in my earlier post: http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/mysj/200164.html

所有跟帖: 

She was sophisticated in many aspects -马下人- 给 马下人 发送悄悄话 马下人 的博客首页 (501 bytes) () 03/04/2015 postreply 11:28:14

It is a denunciation of men -聚曦亭- 给 聚曦亭 发送悄悄话 (260 bytes) () 03/04/2015 postreply 11:42:57

A different angle to look at this poem. -马下人- 给 马下人 发送悄悄话 马下人 的博客首页 (69 bytes) () 03/04/2015 postreply 12:08:25

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”