*=*=* 《每日一句汉译英参考答案》 *=*=*

来源: EnLearner 2012-05-18 19:50:41 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6532 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2012-05-19 05:51:28 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: *=*=* 《每日一句汉译英》 *=*=*EnLearner2012-05-17 19:37:58

请把下面的汉语翻译成一句英文:

对于即将在今年毕业的美国大学生而言,他们面临的是一个充其量只能说是喜忧参半的就业市场。尽管进校园招聘的企业的招聘人数有所上升,大多数毕业生仍将无所斩获离开学校。

参考答案:

Graduating college students face a mixed job market at best this year, and most will leave school without an offer in hand, despite an uptick in hiring by on-campus recruiters.

up·tick /ˈʌpˌtɪk/ noun

plural up·ticks

[count] US: a small increase or rise — often + in an uptick in sales/hiring

mixed /ˈmɪkst/ adjective

1always used before a noun: made of different kinds of things mixed together or combined
a can of mixed nuts bags of mixed candy We ate salads of mixed greens.

2 a: including or involving people of different races or religions
They live in a mixed neighborhood. She's of mixed African and European ancestry. children of mixed race/races people of mixed racial origin/ancestry a racially mixed couple
b: including or involving people of both sexes
She went to a mixed school. [=a school for both boys and girls] a mixed chorus playing mixed doubles in tennis [=a game of doubles in which each team has a man and a woman] When people are in mixed company, they are with both men and women.
The women never spoke of sex or pregnancy in mixed company. [=when men were present]

3: both good and bad, favorable and unfavorable, etc.
The play received mixed reviews. = The play's reviews were mixed. [=some critics liked the play, while other critics did not] His decision got a mixed reaction from the family. The experiment got mixed results. When people have mixed emotions or mixed feelings about something, they have both good and bad thoughts or feelings about it.
He had mixed emotions [=he was both happy and sad] about the end of his trip. I'm having mixed feelings about this class.

mixed messages/signals
Someone gives mixed messages or mixed signals by showing a thought or feeling and then showing another very different thought or feeling.
I don't know if he likes me; he keeps giving me mixed messages. She's sending mixed signals about her feelings.

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!