Is JVG the right coach for Houston?

来源: Warsteiner 2006-03-17 09:45:28 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (8020 bytes)
Replying kingjames and KitchenWhiteObsession:

I guess we can all agree that JVG is not a great coach (hasn’t proven with that little round metal & stone thing), but he’s a good coach, based on his record, in direct comparison to his peers. I do not agree with kingjames’ assessment that he’s out of top ten, I definitely see him as top 10. In fact I would rate him in a group of 3, 4 other coaches in today’s NBA.

1. PJ
2. Pop
3, 4 Brown, Carlisle (not in particular order)
5,6,7, 8 Railey (yes he has rings, but look who he got then, also look at his record in new era), Adelman, Saunders, Sloan, JVG (not in particular order)
9, 10,11. D’Antoni, Johnson, Fratello (not in particular order)

Of course, that’s just my personal view. Except for PJ and probably Pop, guess everybody else is debatable.

Before I throw out the reasons I believe JVG is STILL the right coach for Houston, I would like to disclose my position. I was a Rockets fan since early 90’s, but the interest faded away slowly in the SF era. Of course, I re-discover my love again due to the big fella – Yao Ming, or you can call me a bandwagon fan. I am pretty much an old school fan, still believes it’s a Big Guy’s game. I love to see big guys are brave enough to bang down low. Never a fan of Wang Zizi like 7 footers packing out of the arc and shooting 3s. By the same token, I am not a fan of Dirk. Houston is not a basketball crazy city, like Detroit, but it does have some uniqueness in basketball – it had some quality big men in history, like Dream and Moses. I think as an organization, management and coach have to be on the same page. To me, they have one thing in common – love quality big men.

You might want to argue that it’s a guard’s league now. The rules change simply favors the guards. That’s true. However, partially it is because there weren’t enough quality big men before Yao came. Shaq was a unique specie, all the other centers became stopper, instead of scorer. To make the game more fun, there for the changes were made. Now, with Yao’s recent found aggressiveness and confidence, it’s pretty safe to say that he can drop 30 on anyone at any given night, IF he gets the ball and plays called for him. Now, TD and KG can’t do that, Shaq can’t do that anymore. Some guards and swing men can do that, but with much less efficiency and much less defensive impact. Furthermore, if you put Tmac and Kobe on the same team, only one of them can be that 30 points guy. Who will be the Pippen? Right now, Yao Ming is a unique player in the league. He has been that since he entered NBA, but more because of his size, his influence, his market, his popularity etc etc. But now, he’s unique simply because his impact of a game. To utilize that and to further expand that advantage, Rockets needs a big man friendly coach, and a big man friendly system. Look around the NBA, do you honestly think the likes of D’Antoni, Avery Johnson, Adelman, and Saunders know how to develop and fully utilize a dominant big man? Absolutely not! I would put PJ, Railey, JVG, and Pop right at the top, Brown, Carlsile, and Sloan, maybe.

If you want to replace JVG, tell me with whom? Who’s available now? If it’s not for Yao Ming, I wouldn’t want JVG on that team either.

Done with availability and options, I would like to further discuss JVG’s coaching style to explain why he’s the right guy for Yao Ming. Chinese education system, or Chinese management system are micro-management. Yao is used to that, and JVG is a master of that. I hate that happens to me, therefore I would never do that to people around me. However, Yao Ming reacts to that the most. Yao Ming works very hard, but he doesn’t have the initiatives to design a road for himself. Hakeem used to call big men around the league to train together in offseason, and came back with a new move every offseason. MJ works on his game on his own every offseason. That’s what sets them apart from Barkley. Remember, Yao Ming was out of shape back in China the first two seasons? Rockets sent their trainer there to help him. People were saying Yao works hard, he would thrive under any other coaches as well. I don’t think so, working is a given, otherwise, it’s not possible to improve. But you also have to work smart. Nobody, no coach in the world will force Yao Ming explicitly to bang down low, except for JVG. He’s a stubborn s.o.b, but his stubbornness made what Yao Ming is today – a still growing dominant big man. I love him for that, and as Yao said many times, that he appreciates him for that. Under Rudy or Adelman, Yao Ming will play more like Brad Miller, but a much taller and yet slower one. I don’t want to see Yao Ming flopping and shooting jumpers outside, like a chicken. That’s not his game, not his strength. Despite the rules change, it’s still a big man’s game, if you are dominant. You can impact the game so much more, even with the same 20 points. Yao only need probably 12 shots and couple of trips to the charity line. If you are efficient, you are winning the game.

Kingjames presented a very interesting idea, that once you get your PhD you shall move on to pursue your postal doctoral experience somewhere else. Generally I agree. However, I don’t think Yao is there yet to claim he graduated. He still got lots of stuff to learn. Am I saying if PJ offered to come, I would say no right away? No, I wouldn’t. I love Yao Ming more than I love Rockets, and I love Rockets more than I love JVG. I will listen, but until that happens, I don’t want to get rid of JVG for the sake of getting rid of him. Can he bring Yao to the promise land? Yes or no are purely imagination. He has to be given a chance to work with them. He deserves that as well, and Yao Ming deserves that. I want to see a developed Yao Ming to play with a healthy TMac, and a bunch of solid role players. Last season’s playoffs, we got a flash of that, and I was excited about it. Keep it in mind, that flash was just a 75% of today’s Yao. This season is in the toilet, but I am excited about next one.

Rockets need changes, not in Yao Ming, TMac or JVG, but rather in the front office. They need better scouting staff, and a more aggressive GM who can push Les to open up the wallet a little bit more. Kiki would be a nice choice. Lots of new fans are in awe with Suns play. To be honest, it’s exciting, and Nash is incredible. To me, Nash was the obvious choice of MVP last year and an even more obvious one for this year. But, I am not sold on that kind of games. It’s nothing new. Sonics in 90’s shot better, with better personnel. They had Kamp (better than last year’s Amare), they had Payton, they had hard worker in Shrempf. The Kings and Marvs couple of years ago. They are exciting to watch, but that’s not the teams win championships. Inside-out is a proven concept, rule change or not, unless you have MJ, Pippen, Rodman, lined up defensive force and shooter like the Bulls. You want Yao Ming to win a championship, me too. On top of that, I want him to win a championship as a Dream or Duncan, not a George or Horry. He has to be in an inside-out system. Old school or not, JVG gives you that.

As a side note, I see JVG’s dedication and commitment in the team. As a return, I also see Rockets’ commitment to him. That’s how business suppose to work. If you tell a girl, that I like you, you are pretty good, but I will dump as soon as I find a better one, you will never get the best our of that girl. Furthermore, you probably won’t get that better one either.

As bad as Rockets’ record this year, they could put up a fight with Spurs and Pistons. They were abused by Marvs and Suns this year, but it was an even battle last year, with a much lesser Yao Ming, and a same JVG. What’s the difference? Obviously, it’s not JVG.

Now, I am done with my JVG ranting. Hopefully, I don’t lose my job for that.

所有跟帖: 

回复:Is JVG the right coach for Houston? -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (184 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 10:44:46

W is talking global view. He cares less on Zhanshu. He only care -toochou- 给 toochou 发送悄悄话 (179 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 10:52:40

I agree with W -corland- 给 corland 发送悄悄话 (227 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 11:03:24

I know it's long. -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (1319 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 11:39:50

晕, 才发现这帖子是回我的 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (1322 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 11:44:07

I guess JVG was really pissed off about -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (3090 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:11:21

兄弟, 你太可爱了, 呵呵, 解释得这么详细 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (487 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:30:27

有时候可以这样说,JVG的防守战术造成了YAO在防守端的。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (552 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:12:41

I don't think Rockets will let JVG go this season. -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (330 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:57:43

我还是非常赞成KINGJAMES和厨房白痴的论点,在。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (281 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 11:18:23

U r really great! like this remark! -ababa- 给 ababa 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 11:53:06

回复一下最后两段 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (705 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:07:31

2-2 against Suns last year, 5-6 against Marvs. -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:13:01

这个问题以后开单独帖子再谈 呵呵 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:31:23

去年火箭两胜太阳,其中一场是小S脑筋发热,疯狂单挑YAO。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (1080 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:50:34

既然鼠兄提了, 我也说两句 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (658 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:08:55

是这样的。而且俺发现JVG对付对手的高位挡拆似乎。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (257 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:19:38

Pick n' Roll is a main weapon, if it runs correctly -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (937 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:41:55

是的,确实没有一种方法可以100%破解PNR,但是。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (292 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:52:15

Win or loss, there is always a reason. -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (2068 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:20:26

首先,俺不同意丹皮尔坐板凳是因为他进攻SUCKS,对比。。。 -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (600 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:40:47

I almost agree with you:) -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (278 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 13:47:14

呵呵,现在的“料”也确实差点~~ -无名鼠辈- 给 无名鼠辈 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 14:28:21

it seems u never get the concept of "commitment " -ababa- 给 ababa 发送悄悄话 (35 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 16:00:15

U may be right -ababa- 给 ababa 发送悄悄话 (158 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:15:48

我倒觉得这位W兄耐性十足 -厨房白痴- 给 厨房白痴 发送悄悄话 (35 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 12:33:04

There is better coach for Yao than JVG -Kingjames- 给 Kingjames 发送悄悄话 (3616 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 15:07:25

In short, there are definitely better coaches -Warsteiner- 给 Warsteiner 发送悄悄话 Warsteiner 的博客首页 (1075 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 15:33:14

回复:In short, there are definitely better coaches -kingjames- 给 kingjames 发送悄悄话 (404 bytes) () 03/17/2006 postreply 15:45:44

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”