(美语散文) Listen to Each Other

来源: 作舟 2015-05-03 10:05:25 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5733 bytes)

Listening to Each Other

The seasonal melancholy wraps around the little patch of sky over my head like an old lady’s shawl, lacy and secretive. Meditating in the purple twilight feels sinfully good. Did I say “sin”?

The soul knows what’s good for itself. Listening is one of the keys that helps sooth the troublesome waves against the questioning coastal line.  

The shrill call of a katydid on my porch insists that it is still summer and the warmth of the last few days supports his call, but you and I know that winter is just around the corner. Still, I have to admire the persistence of his serenade, and diversity. Here is an animal whose very perception of the world is a far cry from my own; he listens to the stridulations of his wings through ears embedded in his legs.

The scale of the differences between us is really quite hard to imagine. Beyond the great disparity in size and structure, our heritage and family lineages long ago diverged. His family line contains some 6400 species, while ours has a mere 8 (even our taxonomic class, Mammalia, has only 5,000 species). This singer’s roots are ancient too. Fossil katydids are found in the rocks of the Carboniferous—that distant era 300+ million years ago during which vast coal deposits were laid down, when the air was sweet (with O2 that is) and our mammal-like ancestors bore little resemblance to the furred creatures we are today.

The porch light went on by itself. I smell the firewood coming from my new neighbor’s side. Fire already? Maybe she is cooking herself some homemade Italian pasta.

Outside, two very different beings staring at each other, one a lone representative of an ancient lineage singing a plaintive song of love in the lengthening nights of autumn. We are alive in different worlds, perceptions shaped by biology and evolution. While he sings, I listen and watch and with the empathy that marks my species, I appreciate his struggles. I can even imagine a kind of hope hard-wired into his actions--hope that his song will be heard by an individual much more like himself than me. And this thought gives me hope that we, the human race, can see that our own species’ differences are indescribably small in comparison, and that listening to each other is possible.

I wrap the jacket tighter around my sensitive human body, and I too begin to sing soundlessly.

::

ZuoZhou, 2008

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

作舟的散文是既诗意又深刻,我读了几遍,谢谢你的分享。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (60 bytes) () 05/03/2015 postreply 11:45:10

Thanks, 婉蕠! Thank you for.... -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (80 bytes) () 05/04/2015 postreply 09:30:58

Wonderful writing! Thanks for sharing it with us! -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/04/2015 postreply 13:04:30

Thank you very much for -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (65 bytes) () 05/08/2015 postreply 10:33:35

Beautiful writing and remarkable insight! -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2015 postreply 19:14:19

Thank you for reading and your -作舟- 给 作舟 发送悄悄话 作舟 的博客首页 (101 bytes) () 05/08/2015 postreply 10:35:24

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”