Spanish Red

来源: lostalley 2015-03-21 21:03:52 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5235 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ lostalley ] 在 2015-10-14 08:55:20 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Spanish Red

by Lostalley

I am on a movie binge again, after a long pause. Maybe, it’s the weather. Friday was a dreadful snow shower, but Saturday is 67 degree, balmy and sunny. Particularly warming are the gracious comments on my “An Enchanting Soundtrack.” It’s a small miracle for the like-minded to find each other amid the cosmic virtual world known as internet.

I watched “71” in theatre last night, a British thriller about an injured solider hunted by IRA (Irish Republican Army) in the turbulent 70s. It kept me seated throughout. By contrast, “Goodbye to Language”, a French 3D experimental by a venerable director, is a dismal disappointment. Out of the theatre under a cloudless sky this afternoon, I cursed the director, Jean Luc Godard, for taking my $14 to go through 80 minutes of artistic abuse. It seems the French, especially the film elite, are at loss. Whatever they put out in the recent years are little more than cinematic farce of bourgeois self-indulgence. By comparison, their northeastern neighbor, Spain, sticks to what they do best and got ahead. Pablo Almodovar has steadily secured his position as Spanish Cinema’s spokesman. I’ve seen most of his films. The last one I watched is “Talk to Her,” a female toreador’s resurrection tale. For Almodovar’s films, I care less about the story than the visual and music. Almodovar likes red color and sad music, which I think is quintessential of Spanish sensibility. The theme song, “Cucurrucu Paloma” (Dove), rendered by the Brazilian Bossa Nova singer Caetano Veloso, adds a sublime touch to this stylized melodrama. 

Spain, to me, is a red fire. Like an extinct volcano, her emotion erupts when most unexpected and has the capacity of complete destruction. Flamenco, bullfighting, Dali’s paintings, Gaudi’s architecture, or even Basque separatist movement (ETA), all share one thing--tragic passion. Spanish Red is a sun wrapped in a desert storm, eerie, haunting and mindlessly beautiful. Chinese Red, on the other hand, is a flame cultivated in a fireplace, warm, cozy and predictably peaceful. 

Spanish aesthetic always fascinates as well as scares me. Part of me thoroughly identifies with their raw passion, part of me ultimately yields to my Chinese serenity. Intriguingly, I see such contradiction coincidentally expressed by Dali and Almodovar. Dali’s fantastical surrealism stirs up an emotion in me in a way bourgeois French Impressionism, nihilistic German Expressionism, or materialistic American Modernism, can never do. Almodovar's idiosyncratic sensationalism dazzles me with a whimsical adolescent jubilation often lacking in the films of his European and American counterparts. To decipher Dali’s erotic paintings and Almodovar’s erratic films, you have to peel through the kitsch layers of superficiality to find an intensity that is both rare and pure. 

03/22/2015, Maryland

所有跟帖: 

How about Canadian red? -Marauders- 给 Marauders 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/22/2015 postreply 10:12:15

Mountie uniform or maple leaf on the flag? -lostalley- 给 lostalley 发送悄悄话 lostalley 的博客首页 (179 bytes) () 03/22/2015 postreply 19:40:33

I have to say it is the maple leaf -Marauders- 给 Marauders 发送悄悄话 (369 bytes) () 03/23/2015 postreply 20:18:15

Canada once wanted to invade America from North -lostalley- 给 lostalley 发送悄悄话 lostalley 的博客首页 (334 bytes) () 03/24/2015 postreply 06:43:49

Thank you. I can see your immersion -lostalley- 给 lostalley 发送悄悄话 lostalley 的博客首页 (33 bytes) () 03/22/2015 postreply 19:42:32

Your effortless writings, choice of music, wide range of ... -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (618 bytes) () 03/23/2015 postreply 20:28:37

Shared taste. Also -lostalley- 给 lostalley 发送悄悄话 lostalley 的博客首页 (39 bytes) () 03/23/2015 postreply 21:44:58

Have a nice Wednesday. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (78 bytes) () 03/25/2015 postreply 09:53:22

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”