What if...?

来源: 亦中 2015-02-16 17:02:42 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (7400 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 亦中 ] 在 2015-02-17 02:43:03 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

"Accendino." A deep, intentionally muffled voice came from behind me. I turned around and it took me several seconds to understand that the person now standing before me had asked if I had a cigarette lighter. I looked him over. He was tall and slim, and looked to be about 18 or 20. After pausing for a moment, I said, “No. I don’t have
accendino."

He said nothing, and walked away.

It was a summer day, around 3 or 4pm, at a bus stop on a quiet side street of Palermo, Sicily. I’d been waiting for home-bound bus.

Several minutes later, the man came back with another guy: short, stumpy. The new man approached me, face twisted in a scowl. He produced a knife from the folds of his jacket, aiming it at my left chest. “Soldi— money,” he said.
Seeing me shocked and nonresponsive, the short guy started to search me. He patted down all my pockets but found only a bus pass.

This was 20 years ago, when Palermo was notorious for robbery. That’s why I, like other foreign students, did not usually carry a wallet, keeping only my bus pass and a small amount of money to get to and from school each day.

Coming out of my shock, I somehow woke up enough to feel irritated, though not necessarily scared. I shouted to him in the Italian that I had learned not long before: “I am a Chinese. I am not a Japanese tourist. I don’t have soldi!”

He grabbed my collar fiercely and stared at me for a couple of seconds. Then they both went away.

If I were scared of this, I would not come to Sicily,
I thought to myself. The agitation I felt was still brewing.

I decided to follow them, thinking I might catch hold of a passing-by policeman I could report them to.

The men went into the Medical Bar, a bar and café across from the Policlinico di
Palermo, where I had been invited to do research project. I went to the bar for an espresso or breakfast at least once a day. I followed them into the bar and intentionally saluted the bartenders loudly. “Ciao, Mimmo. Ciao, Salvadore!”

The two had joined other another gang of about 5 or 6 people at a table near the back. The thugs looked at me from the remote table, aware that I was “local” too. They whispered, discussed.

The tall guy was sent to me. He walked close to me and quietly said “dolce,” meaning apologies and inviting me for a dessert. 
I refused the dolce offer and reprimanded the guy in my half Italian and half English. I advised him not do such bad things and told them they needed go to work for soldi instead of committing shameful crimes.

He looked lost.

Did he even understand what I had said? I didn't know.

Nevertheless, it was such a winning feeling to confront him. It made me feel that I overcame the hardness and fearing of staying in Sicily.

Months ago, my applications to scholarships had been accepted by several institutes  at almost the same time but only the one from Palermo University allowed me to leave right away. Since China at that time was under bad political shape after Tianmen Square Event, I was afraid that China shut down the door to outside world and hided into iron curtain again. So, I decided to go for Palermo University scholarship first.

However, the mafia caused a lot of trouble at that time in Palermo and the news spread to whole world even to China. I thought this trip as a challenge in mind. In first several months, I was really in tense. Up to this point, I felt first time relieved.

Twenty years have passed and I still remember every single detail of this episode. But I could never understand how I managed such fearlessness in shouting at the gangs and
following them to the bar. I’m older now; looking back, the whole thing seems rather reckless. Many times I have asked myself, “what if…?” When I told my friends this story, they all have asked the same question, no exceptions.

Just a few days ago, I was still struggling for a reasonable ending to the story I had put on paper for the first time. It was then that I realized a truth, and perhaps the most simple explanation of all: When you are young, you do not ask “what if…?”

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

Capriccio! -lostalley- 给 lostalley 发送悄悄话 lostalley 的博客首页 (86 bytes) () 02/17/2015 postreply 06:16:09

grazie dante! -亦中- 给 亦中 发送悄悄话 亦中 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/17/2015 postreply 06:53:39

初生牛犊不怕虎 New-born calves are fearless of Tigers, Nice writing. -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/17/2015 postreply 23:42:08

谢谢坛主!那时也不小了。只是刚出国,信心十足,气冲斗牛的样子。 -亦中- 给 亦中 发送悄悄话 亦中 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/18/2015 postreply 07:18:47

It was really a horrified experience. You were so brave. -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (184 bytes) () 02/19/2015 postreply 19:43:16

No. I had no fear at all. It actually cured my initial depressio -亦中- 给 亦中 发送悄悄话 亦中 的博客首页 (160 bytes) () 02/20/2015 postreply 06:04:54

Really? That is amazing. -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (1194 bytes) () 02/20/2015 postreply 08:16:46

Take care,斯葭。 -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (574 bytes) () 02/25/2015 postreply 11:13:19

Thanks, 阿肖。You take care, too. -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (482 bytes) () 02/26/2015 postreply 07:05:17

Thank you Sijia. Have a nice day! -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (785 bytes) () 02/26/2015 postreply 10:53:26

阿肖, have a nice weekend. -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (189 bytes) () 02/27/2015 postreply 08:33:17

Dear 斯葭, it is what I truely believe. -肖庄- 给 肖庄 发送悄悄话 肖庄 的博客首页 (826 bytes) () 02/27/2015 postreply 14:02:37

阿肖,thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (261 bytes) () 02/28/2015 postreply 07:29:57

你的名字好熟悉。多年以前, 我在斯坦福碰到一个大一的女孩,拿李嘉诚奖学金。 -亦中- 给 亦中 发送悄悄话 亦中 的博客首页 (149 bytes) () 02/20/2015 postreply 07:26:53

那个女孩真优秀,佩服。顺祝亦中春节快乐,羊年吉祥。 -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (100 bytes) () 02/21/2015 postreply 07:25:45

名字有才, 唯楚有才。 -亦中- 给 亦中 发送悄悄话 亦中 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/21/2015 postreply 08:53:43

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”