My shingles outbreak

来源: Marauders 2013-03-15 19:37:19 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2525 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Marauders ] 在 2013-03-16 19:51:05 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Shingles is an outbreak of chickenpox virus one had earlier in life. After years of dormant living in part of the body, it rises up to skin and causes patches of blisters.

I remember distinctively that it started with a pinch, a poke or a nip in my back while I was sitting at my desk. I said to myself, "what was that? oh well, it is what it is. It's OK."

Well, I was wrong. The initial discomfort started to spread, slowly and steadily, however elusively. It's a strange kind of pain, it tingles, it travels. It's like hanging on a string. Yet, I can't seem to pinpoint it. I tried to massage it away without success. It slowly ate its way through my body on the ticking of its biological clock.

Several days later, I knew something was not right. This thing was like a ghost sticking to my bone. It felt like something was wrong with my kidney, yet my intake and discharge did not seem to suffer. I heard that kind of pain in kidney is incapacitating. Yet I still played a pick up soccer game without much effort. It could be problem with my appendix. But I have no fever. I would rather that was due to a pulled muscle. My honest self told me not. I climbed in and out under my car, I jumped and lifted weights with no problem. This was really bothering me.

Finally, the first blister appeared. It hit me just then that I remember a talk with my mom years ago.

She put her finger on a scar on my arm and said "That one, I remember, it was from your chickenpox when you were still a baby. You were running high fever...."

"Mom, yeah, I know, you told me before"

"Yeah, but when it comes back.."

"Wait, what do you mean when it comes back?"

"Well, you never get rid of the virus, it stays in you, sleeping, sort of. When it comes back years later, it becomes shingles. There is going to be blisters, painful blisters."

"Thanks, mom, just what I needed" I wasn't too keen on continuing that talk. Being young, I felt like invincible.

With these blisters showing up, circling my waist perfectly on one side my body, splitting in the middle, hooray, I knew what I have now, dam it, shingles. The second round is on.

The next day, I went to see my doctor with a sense of triumph. I showed my scar to him and asked "I nailed it, right?" "Yes, you are absolutely right" once he saw it. 5 minutes later, I was off with a prescription of anti-viral drug.

Yeah, shingles.

Fuck it, shingles.

所有跟帖: 

Take care! Do not work too hard.:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2013 postreply 22:04:36

Good writing, tough experience -冲浪潜水员- 给 冲浪潜水员 发送悄悄话 冲浪潜水员 的博客首页 (210 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 02:26:38

兄弟,请注意语言文明。 -小钊- 给 小钊 发送悄悄话 (67 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 03:30:02

Chill, bro -Marauders- 给 Marauders 发送悄悄话 (117 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 08:00:02

I appreciate different writing styles. -Lucidus- 给 Lucidus 发送悄悄话 Lucidus 的博客首页 (17828 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 08:41:06

“politically correct?" -小钊- 给 小钊 发送悄悄话 (343 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 18:41:03

I hope you will get better soon... -斓婷- 给 斓婷 发送悄悄话 斓婷 的博客首页 (242 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 05:16:50

Thanks for sharing! -Lucidus- 给 Lucidus 发送悄悄话 Lucidus 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 08:28:48

Hope you recover soon. -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 10:37:17

Believe or not, my doc told me I had eczema I've never experienc -淘金客- 给 淘金客 发送悄悄话 淘金客 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 13:38:47

Get better soon! The shingles vaccine is available now, I am thi -京燕花园- 给 京燕花园 发送悄悄话 京燕花园 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/16/2013 postreply 20:19:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”