Importance of Intonation

来源: NewVoice 2013-04-04 06:43:01 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5153 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ NewVoice ] 在 2013-04-07 20:29:22 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

I listened to this story on NPR yesterday, and I thought it is very interesting. The intonation of one word could make such a huge difference.

ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:

We learned this week of the death of John J. Gumperz, a Berkley sociolinguist who pioneered the study of real-life discourse across cultural boundaries. His obituary in the New York Times relates how he brought workplace peace to London's Heathrow Airport by pointing out the misunderstanding of the word gravy when it was uttered by cafeteria staff of South Asian background.

Deborah Tannen of Georgetown University is a professor of linguistics who studied with John Gumperz and she joins us now from Stanford, California. She's a fellow at Stanford the year. Welcome to the program.

DEBORAH TANNEN: Pleasure to be here.

SIEGEL: Gravy?

TANNEN: That's the difference. That's one side of it. John Gumperz was on sabbatical at London. He was called in as a consultant because the employees were complaining that they were being discriminated against. The employees who were getting their food at that cafeteria were complaining that the new employees were rude. He used his method of tape-recording the real interactions, then playing it back for both parties.

And he was able to focus on this one word and the way it was spoken. So if the same word, gravy, was said by the British women with a rising intonation, gravy, that was understood as would you like some gravy. The Indian and Pakistani women said it with a falling intonation, gravy. That came across as, this is gravy, take it or leave it.

SIEGEL: Even though they were doing the same thing. They were asking the employees would you like gravy on the meat.

TANNEN: Yes. And it's a perfect example because each side pointed to that as evidence for their point of view. And so John Gumperz brilliance was just so that not there could never be discrimination, of course there could be and there probably was, but that just language and the subtle aspects of language that we might have thought didn't make any difference, made a world of difference.

SIEGEL: Now, a brief biographical note here. Mr. Gumperz, who was 91 years old, was born Jewish in Germany. He was barred from study there, I gather, so he was sent, as a young man, to Italy and then to Holland before coming to the U.S. just before World War II. From that early background, I would assume cross-cultural communication would have been a natural subject of interest to him.

TANNEN: Yes. I think you're absolutely right. He worked at the intersection of linguistics and anthropology. And probably because of that personal history, he had a commitment to social justice. That was also very much in the era of the time and the birth of modern sociolinguistics. But he was able to combine an awareness of the cultural patterns with a very specific focus on language and how you're using language.
He had done field work in India, so he knew about the Indian culture and the Indian language. And then he was able to ask questions like, why is it that someone of Indian background in England, perfectly good speaker of English, might not get a job that he was qualified for.

SIEGEL: Yes. I gather it came all too naturally to the person of Indian background when asked why he wanted the job, said I need a job, which was not the correct answer.

TANNEN: Yeah. There's great examples. And he naturally made a video together with the BBC called "Cross Talk." And some examples from there are just so - just the way - the conventions that we take for granted. We know you're supposed to say, this is the perfect job for me, even if you really just need a job. Well, this applicant actually said, well, I'm not particularly interested in this job. I need a job. I'm doing everything I can to get a job. And the result, again, can be a kind of discrimination where each one thinks, well, I'm well-intentioned. It must be your fault.

SIEGEL: We started with the gravy story from Heathrow. After Professor Gumperz pointed this out to people, did they actually change the way they spoke? Did the women from India and Pakistan who were living in Britain, did they start putting an upward intonation at the end of gravy? Or was it up to the workers to learn what they were hearing instead?

TANNEN: That's a great question. Professor Gumperz himself doesn't say whether the follow-through was there, but I think we all find, from our own experience, once people know what the issue is, they are in a much better position to change their behavior and get better results.

SIEGEL: Deborah Tannen, professor of linguistics at Georgetown University, thanks for talking with us about the late Professor John J. Gumperz.

TANNEN: My pleasure. Thank you.

所有跟帖: 

回复:Importance of Intonation -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (142 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 07:54:11

interesting. a great example for social linguistics class. -小钊- 给 小钊 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 08:03:54

Thanks for sharing! -Lucidus- 给 Lucidus 发送悄悄话 Lucidus 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 09:48:27

顶声姐转载趣文好文 -yingyudidida- 给 yingyudidida 发送悄悄话 yingyudidida 的博客首页 (405 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 10:09:22

a stinky long face, rolling eyeballs, or a dirty look will do th -yingyudidida- 给 yingyudidida 发送悄悄话 yingyudidida 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 12:56:34

谢谢小薇,小钊,Lucidus, Bill, 小蔓读帖回帖。 -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 13:55:01

NewVoice, 春天好。谢谢分享关于intonation的音频文字。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/04/2013 postreply 19:35:51

紫君,谢谢!祝春天快乐! -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/05/2013 postreply 03:47:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”