英语美文:Listening is powerful medicine 倾听是良药

来源: 紫君 2009-03-13 17:46:00 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2977 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 紫君 ] 在 2009-03-16 07:14:47 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

英语美文:Listening is powerful medicine 倾听是良药(ZT)

倾听是良药,它能治愈心灵的创伤。当我是一名医生时,我问我的病人我能为她做些什么,她朝我笑笑说,只要你听完我的故事。而今我也坐上轮椅,我告诉我的学生,不要打断病人的倾诉,坐在床边听他们把话说完吧,因为这对病人的帮助胜过任何昂贵的药物。

It was Sunday. I had one last patient to see. I approached her room in a hurry and stood at the doorway. She was an older woman, sitting at the edge of the bed, struggling to put socks on her swollen feet. I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, scanned her chart noting she was in stable condition. I was almost in the clear.

I leaned on the bedrail looking down at her. She asked if I could help put on her socks. Instead, I launched into a monologue that went something like this: "How are you feeling? Your sugars and blood pressure were high but they're better today. The nurse mentioned you're anxious to see your son who's visiting you today. It's nice to have family visit from far away. I bet you really look forward to seeing him."

She stopped me with a stern, authoritative voice. "Sit down, doctor. This is my story, not your story."

I was surprised and embarrassed. I sat down. I helped her with the socks. She began to tell me that her only son lived around the corner from her, but she had not seen him in five years. She believed that the stress of this contributed greatly to her health problems. After hearing her story and putting on her socks, I asked if there was anything else I could do for her. She shook her head no and smiled. All she wanted me to do was to listen.

Each story is different. Some are detailed; others are vague. Some have a beginning, middle and end. Others wander without a clear conclusion. Some are true; others not. Yet all those things do not really matter. What matters to the storyteller is that the story is heard — without interruption, assumption or judgment.

Listening to someone's story costs less than expensive diagnostic testing but is key to healing and diagnosis.

I often thought of what that woman taught me, and I reminded myself of the importance of stopping, sitting down and truly listening. And, not long after, in an unexpected twist, I became the patient, with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis at age 31. Now, 20 years later, I sit all the time — in a wheelchair.

For as long as I could, I continued to see patients from my chair, but I had to resign when my hands were affected. I still teach med students and other health care professionals, but now from the perspective of physician and patient.

I tell them I believe in the power of listening. I tell them I know firsthand that immeasurable healing takes place within me when someone stops, sits down and listens to my story.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks! But, where is your or 梅石莹玉精彩的朗诵? -任我为- 给 任我为 发送悄悄话 任我为 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2009 postreply 18:57:38

Hi, 任我为, have a nice weekend. -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (28 bytes) () 03/13/2009 postreply 19:00:57

回复:Thanks! But, where is your or 梅石莹玉精彩的朗诵? -梅石莹玉- 给 梅石莹玉 发送悄悄话 梅石莹玉 的博客首页 (78 bytes) () 03/14/2009 postreply 18:31:34

回复:回复:Thanks! But, where is your or 梅石莹玉精彩的朗诵? -任我为- 给 任我为 发送悄悄话 任我为 的博客首页 (384 bytes) () 03/15/2009 postreply 13:34:17

任我为朗诵的真好,谢谢分享。任我为&梅石莹玉,周日快乐。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2009 postreply 15:40:07

Mr. Ren and 紫君, happy weekend -梅石莹玉- 给 梅石莹玉 发送悄悄话 梅石莹玉 的博客首页 (77 bytes) () 03/15/2009 postreply 16:15:19

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”