【丢人广播】之三终于整出来了

来源: 非文学青年 2011-05-09 22:36:45 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3404 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 非文学青年 ] 在 2011-05-12 04:59:07 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Now, the VOA special special English program: translation words and their stories
Today, we are going to learn some words and their synonyms by working on the third sentence in our translation practice. For listeners who have just tuned in, I am attaching in the script the links to the previous 2 episodes and the original posting of the translation practice.

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/zhongyiingfanyi/96989.html

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/mysj/97100.html

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/mysj/97266.html

The reason for the long hiatus between this episode and the previous ones is that I couldn’t find a good way of talking. I listened to my previous episodes, they sounded so bad, embarrassingly bad, that even with a thick face like me, I couldn’t gather the courage to do another episode in that way of talking. This afternoon, I was reading VOA words and their stories and suddenly had this brilliant idea about doing this broadcast in VOA special English style. So here we are. First, this is the Chinese sentence and what I think Faith Lapidus would sound like if she spoke Chinese.

对于我来 说,莱温斯基的纠纷似乎只是政治对手炮制的又一个恶毒的丑闻。

Here is my translation:
To me, the Lewinski affair is only another vicious scandal created by Bill’s political enemies.
Here is 学英语3151’s translation:
Luwinsky matter to me is nothing but a scandal masterminded by political opponents.
Original: For me, the Lewinsky imbroglio seemed like just another vicious scandal manufactured by political opponents.
The sentence structure is pretty straightforward. So this time, we will focus on the words and their usage.
imbroglio /im-ˈbrōl-(ˌ)yō/ is the first word we will learn. It’s an Italian word and the g is silent. It is a synonym of scandal. I believe it is used here to avoid repetition with the "scandal" in the same sentence. “Affair” I used is pretty close but “matter” is not a very good choice.

“Manufacture” was very well used in the original writing. Its synonyms are contrive, cook up, create, devise, fabricate, hatch, make up, produce, think up, trump up. The “create” I used is one of the synonyms but it’s not as vivid as “manufacture”. I thought someone from the forum suggested “fabricate”, but couldn’t find it in the threads, which would be equally good as “manufacture”. I like the word “mastermind” 学英语3151 used, but it might have a slightly different meaning. “Mastermind” sounds like a more organized, bigger-scale conspiracy.

The last word group we are going to learn is Opponent vs enemy: both学英语3151 and好学又好问 used political opponents, which is more appropriate than enemy. An opponent is in opposition. An enemy not only opposes but causes harm and injury. To put it in a simple way, an opponent wants to beat you but an enemy wants to kill you.
This VOA Special Special English program was written by 非文学青年. I am Faith Lapidus. You can find more 丢人广播 and the original post at our Web site, http://bbs.wenxuecity.com.

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 【丢人广播】之三终于整出来了
  • 【进军VOA】Words and Their Stories:Proverbs about how to live
  • 【歌曲欣赏】令我听着落泪的英文歌之一
  • 【进军VOA】Words and Their Stories:Fish Part 2
  • 290110507趁感冒美味嗓读一遍1-4课
  • 所有跟帖: 

You are so brilliant! 回复:【丢人广播】之三终于整出来了 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 (856 bytes) () 05/09/2011 postreply 23:44:55

多谢美风!半夜偷窥到砖头 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (338 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 02:11:15

有才。 中国人学老外挺像的。牛人。 -jingbeiboy- 给 jingbeiboy 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 06:17:25

啥牛人,用一个同事说我的话:整个一damn ass。 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 07:45:56

同事敢这么说? 如果关系不铁, 有点过了。 -jingbeiboy- 给 jingbeiboy 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 11:50:41

恩,关系挺铁的。我们互称DA。 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 12:05:12

翻译讲座写的好,讲的好,谢谢分享。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (86 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 08:14:10

Pro Wenqing~~~ ^v^ -千与.千寻- 给 千与.千寻 发送悄悄话 千与.千寻 的博客首页 (40 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 10:26:12

你就整这个吧,有砖头也不说,我自己都知道了。 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 11:07:22

很好很好。你这么多头绪多头学啊,我只顾上900句就不错了。 -cha-cha- 给 cha-cha 发送悄悄话 cha-cha 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/10/2011 postreply 19:03:25

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
    选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
    选择“don't run on pages on this domain”