Katie Couric The Best Advice I Ever Got, Part 30

来源: 2msmom 2014-01-24 14:43:26 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2135 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2014-01-24 16:22:17 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

欢迎多多批评指正.

PART 6 Don't Let the Turkeys Get You Down

On Rejection and Resilience

If I had listened to the critics I'd have died drunk in the gutter.
        -Anton Chekhov

If I thought I had experienced challenges early in my career, I hadn't seen anything yet. The time in my professional life that required every drop of resilience in my personal reservoir came during my first two years as the anchor of the CBS Evening News. There had been a great deal of hype over my hire. I was the first woman to solo-anchor an evening newscast on a major network, and the significance of that wasn't lost on me. In fact, when I was offered a job on the Today show fifteen years earlier I told Michael Gartner, then the president of NBC News, that I would accept the job only if Bryant Gumbel and I were going to be equal partners. I didn't want to be relegated to cooking and fashion segments, and I wanted assurances that that wouldn't happen. So in a moment of extreme moxiness I told him “It's really important to me that there's a fifty-fifty division of labor.” I had been covering the Pentagon and didn't want my news chops or credibility to be eroded. So he relented. Almost. “Fifty-two, forty-eight,” he told me. “And that's my best offer.” I agreed. I think I had the audacity to insist on an equal division of labor because I was well aware of how images from television can shape attitudes and values. God knows I was influenced by watching the adventures of a career woman named Mary Richards every Friday night on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and by the show Julia, starring Diahann Carroll, about an African-American nurse and single mother.

所有跟帖: 

读得好,读到Part30了,一共有多少章节? -斯葭- 给 斯葭 发送悄悄话 斯葭 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/25/2014 postreply 10:14:42

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”