Katie Couric The Best Advice I Ever Got, Part 28

来源: 2msmom 2014-01-02 15:57:16 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2072 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2014-01-05 13:19:21 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

欢迎多多批评指正.

I am a sucker for musicals. I know the words to almost every song written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. In fact, if I could have a career in anything besides TV, and if I had the God-given talent, I would be a Broadway-musical star. When I auditioned for my high school musical Carnival, I had fantasies of getting the lead role of Lily. Unfortunately, that went to Laurie Kittler. I was cast as a deaf person who didn't speak. But I digress. I recently saw a revival of one of my very favorite musicals, South Pacific, at Lincoln Center. I was struck by the prescient lyrics sung by Lieutenant Cable:

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a different shade,
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be accepting and kind and open-minded. You've got to be taught to stand up for the kid who's getting bullied. You've got to be taught to speak out and take a stand against all kinds of bad behavior.
    Being a good person pays off. If you're kind and generous to your coworkers, they'll celebrate your success. It will also keep your head from getting too big. When I was promoted to co-anchor of the Today show, a crusty older producer who'd seen it all told me something I'll never forget. “Kid,” he said, holding his cigarette languidly, “today you may be drinking the wine. Tomorrow you could be picking the grapes.” In other words, don't get too big for your britches, kid. All those people you pass as you climb the ladder of success could be the same ones who will catch if you fall.

所有跟帖: 

新年好!希望今年能够多练英语,陪你一起读。 -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2014 postreply 16:32:26

太好了! 有人一起做伴更容易坚持. 木敢管你叫二姐,想我恐怕比你年龄大:-)). -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (63 bytes) () 01/03/2014 postreply 20:51:35

你这个朗诵系列非常好,听后颇受启迪,谢谢你。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/03/2014 postreply 08:31:04

谢谢婉蕠! 我很喜欢Katie Couric的文章. 除了学发音,朗读 ,经常有些新词汇. 文章本身也 -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (22 bytes) () 01/03/2014 postreply 20:55:10

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”