Katie Couric The Best Advice I Ever Got, Part 27

来源: 2msmom 2014-01-01 09:06:32 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2097 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2014-01-04 15:50:09 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

新年好! 这段录音11月底就读了,一直没时间来网站发,今天有时间就赶紧发了吧
欢迎多多批评指正.

PART 5  MINUTE PARTICULARS
On Doing What's Right

Good manners sometimes means simply putting up with other people's bad manners.
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

The English poet William Blake once observed, “He who would do good to another man must do it in Minute Particulars.” Minute particulars. Not grand gestures but everyday acts of kindness. They accumulate, and together provide the threads that make up our moral fiber. The writer Annie Dillard put it another way: “How we live our days, of course, is how we live our lives.” I listened to my minister, the Reverend Michael Lindvall, talk about “minute particulars” one Sunday and was struck by how closely his sermon aligned with my personal philosophy – or, at least, with the kind of person I strive to be.
    Anyone who has taken Psych 101 is familiar with a concept called modeling. Good manners beget good manners, along with endless appeals to “put your napkin in your lap!” My dad was obsessed with a firm handshake and eye contact, as am I. My daughters could win gold medals for both. Kindness also begets kindness. It always gives me great pleasure and pride when I see my children showing people the respect they deserve – when they thank someone politely and tell him or her to have a good day, or hold the door for an elderly shopper. These are common courtesies that sometimes seem woefully uncommon. Parents have so much responsibility when it comes to shaping young minds – and an obligation to teach compassion, empathy and tolerance, primarily through example.

所有跟帖: 

新年的第一天听到你的朗读系列,佩服你的坚持精神。Happy New Year. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/01/2014 postreply 13:07:48

谢谢婉蕠! 新年快乐!希望今年口语能上一层楼. -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/01/2014 postreply 16:28:45

很棒!加油! 祝你新年快乐! -~叶子~- 给 ~叶子~ 发送悄悄话 ~叶子~ 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/01/2014 postreply 23:51:02

谢谢叶子! 祝你新年快乐! -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2014 postreply 15:48:56

Great! Keep it up! -冲浪潜水员- 给 冲浪潜水员 发送悄悄话 冲浪潜水员 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/03/2014 postreply 00:00:58

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”