Katie Couric The Best Advice I Ever Got, Part 18

来源: 2msmom 2013-08-16 06:59:31 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3201 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2013-08-16 07:07:29 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

最近太忙,好久没来美坛.很想念大家. 接着发贴.欢迎金砖.

Part 2 The Bank of Experience (第二部分)

欢迎多多批评指正
There is simply no way around it. There is no substitute for hard work. Early in my career and to this day, I’ve put in as many hours as needed to get the job done. If it meant working after hours, on weekends, in the middle of the night and getting two hours of sleep, I would do it. People notice. They also notice when you’re doing the bare minimum. Nothing is less appealing in a work setting than a fresh-out-of-college graduate, who’s entitled and unmotivated. If you’re the low man or woman on the totem pole, learn from those up at or close to the top. Pick their brains, follow them around. They’ll probably be flattered. Even today, I’m still learning from my colleagues. When I see an interview or a story that I really like, I’ll watch it several times to understand what made it so good.
    No matter how many hours you put in, or how much sweat equity you amass, there will be times when you feel you aren’t getting the credit you deserve or promotion you’ve earned. You will inevitably face disappointments. One of the most empowering lessons of all is: Life isn’t fair. This is something I tried to teach my daughters. When they were demanding  toddlers, I often responded to their whines by telling them, “Girls, you know what Mick Jagger says: ‘You can’t always get what you want.’” If you realize that disappointment will always be part of the equation, regardless of how unfair it feels, your recovery time will be much faster.

And sometimes things just don’t go your way because someone beats you fair and square. I remember I was desperate to profile Chris Reeves following his horseback-riding accident, because he was one of the most inspiring people I’d ever met. I was relentless. I called his representative almost every day. I wrote letters. Called some more. When I found out that Barbara Walters was going to do a one-hour special on Chris and his wife, Dana, I was crestfallen. But my disappointment was quickly defused when I realized that he had a long-standing relationship with Barbara and, after so many impressive years in the business, why wouldn’t he turn to her and trust her? I watched the special, which was beautifully done. And I thought to myself: This was the right decision. I also thought about a famous line by media mogul Barry Diller: “I lost. She won. Next.”

Sometimes hard work and good timing intersect. Sometimes they don’t But they likely will at some point, and when they do, like Sully…you’ll be ready.

所有跟帖: 

谢朗读,Katie推出了talk show: -楚姗珊- 给 楚姗珊 发送悄悄话 楚姗珊 的博客首页 (85 bytes) () 08/16/2013 postreply 09:20:19

谢谢! How long has the show been out? It is so good to know. -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (64 bytes) () 08/16/2013 postreply 20:00:26

The show premiered on September 10, 2012. -楚姗珊- 给 楚姗珊 发送悄悄话 楚姗珊 的博客首页 (106 bytes) () 08/16/2013 postreply 20:15:59

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”