Katie Couric 2012 Commencement, 第八部分

来源: 2msmom 2012-11-05 07:56:24 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2619 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2012-11-05 17:04:31 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

欢迎大家批评指正.

A recent article in The Atlantic entitled “How to Land Your Kid in Therapy” asked this question: Could it be that by protecting our kids from unhappiness as children we’re depriving them of happiness as adults?” In fact, some college students today are so overprotected and fragile, they’re known by administrators on campuses across the country as “teacups.”

Sometimes this spills into the workplace when young, entitled employees think they don’t have to pay their dues and they want to start at the top. But as Queen Rania of Jordan once said, “If you’re too big for the small jobs, you’re too small for the big ones.”

And if you’re going on interviews, remember this: Nothing is a bigger turn off than a 22-year-old who asks how a job will affect his or her work/life balance.

In fact, one young woman was trying to land a position on my new syndicated show and she asked how the hours would impact her weekend. Weekends? Our answer was? Not at all…because you’re not getting the job.

And speaking of teacups, according to a very reliable source one student from Darden went on a job interview…and BROUGHT HIS MOTHER! Seriously. Is that you over there? Hi, I'm speaking the truth here, people. So, whatever you do...don't bring your mother to an interview...and DO NOT use her as a reference!

Don’t be a teacup…be a travel mug. Sturdy…and, ultimately, unbreakable. Go the extra mile. Volunteer for that extra assignment. As my mom told all 4 Couric kids. Let them know you are there. Thanks Mom! You may have to work late, work weekends, or as Mike Bloomberg did, show up early. When he was in business school, he worked at a real estate office renting apartments. He had more customers than the four full-time professional brokers, because he got there before they did, answered the phone, and got all their business. The last time I checked, Mike Bloomberg is doing pretty well for himself. So, very simply: there is no substitute for hard work and doing everything you can to get the job done.

所有跟帖: 

谢谢你的Katie Couric's Commencement朗诵系列,给人鼓励,催人上进。 -斓婷- 给 斓婷 发送悄悄话 斓婷 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/05/2012 postreply 08:21:30

谢谢斓婷! I have not had time to come and visit this site as often a -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (285 bytes) () 11/05/2012 postreply 20:58:28

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”