回复:受不了你们了,一群鸭子!我这闭关修炼的连耳朵也得不到清净!哈哈

来源: newton123 2011-07-01 08:15:51 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (20040 bytes)

Thank you all. I am still here. I understand that you guys hope me to get involved more. I hope I have more time too.

I enjoy the atmosphere here. I can always find something new and interesting. Learning a foreign language is a hard work in most cases. But in the American English forum, it becomes an enjoyable activity. There are so many eager learners that encourage each other and help each other. On the other hand, I feel I need an intense training so we may master this language earlier.

Translation is an active learning process. If you are able to translate English into Chinese or Chinese to English accurately, you succeed. In the time of Southwestern United University, shortage of textbooks was very common. Students in English department tried translating a classic novel many times from E to C then from C to E. We may find a lot practices like this.

Last time when I proposed the new translation plan, I might wrongly estimate the pace here. I am going to do more than just finishing homework. Last Friday I actually finished my translation and I wanted to the response. I am happy we have so many earnest learners.

The following is my homework. I just compared it with original text. I know there are a lot to learn. However, to have more classmates involved in this process, I will put out only my work today. The original text will be out tomorrow as suggested. As what I wrote before, you are always welcome to point out the mistakes in my writing, no matter the errors are logical, structure, grammar, spelling, usages or anything you can talk.

一定有无数的美国人也对他们的长相感到有一种疏离感,但每个人的原因却又各不相同。举个例子,我是韩国移民的后裔,但我却不会说我父母的母语(即韩语)。我也从来没有用诸如大哥大姐等恰当的敬语来称呼我的长辈们。我没跟韩国女性约过会,甚至连个韩国朋友都没有。虽然我的身份是移民,我却从来没有想过像一个移民那样努力地奋斗。
There must be numerous Americas that have sort of strange feeling about their faces, but the causes may vary. Take me as an example. I am a son of a Korean immigrate, but I am unable to speak the mother language of my parents. I never call my cousins using a well suited title like “big brother” or “big sister”. I have not dated any Korean lady. I even do not have a Korean friend. In spite of being an immigrant, I never have a thought to strive as hard as an immigrant.
我是亚裔美国人,用带点嘲弄意味的说法就是香蕉或者奶油蛋糕(外黄内白)。虽然我并不认为一个人的种族出身就会决定他的一切,但我相信对各个种族的成见已经深深地植入了我们的思想里,我们靠它来区分在茫茫人海中遇到的不同面孔。尽管在很多方面,我已经没了什么亚洲人的特点,但我确实长着一张亚洲人的脸。
I am an Asian America, a banana or a cream cake as called in a funny way (yellow on the outside and white on the inside). I do not believe that one’s future is determined by his origin, but I agree that the prejudices on the origin of different ethnic groups have deeply rooted in our mind, on which we base our judgments of different faces in the sea of people. Though I have probably lost a lot of features of Asian characteristics, I keep an Asian face.  

我有时怀疑我的长相对于其他美国人来说,相当有代表性,就像一个长着大众脸的隐形人,一个站在人群里很显眼但毫无个性的人,一个美国文化表面上十分推崇而实际上却鄙视并剥削的形象。我们不只是那些数学学得很好和会拉小提琴的人,而且是一大群憋屈的要死,压迫的不行,被虐的快残了的那些循规蹈矩的半机器人,对社会和文化根本就没什么影响力可言。
I sometimes doubt that my face is quite representative with respect to other Americans, just like an invisible subject, an individual standing among a crowd but with no personality, an image apparently admired but actually despicable and being exploited. We are not only those that are good at mathematics and piano, but also a group of mistreated, obsessed and worn off semi-robot that observe given conventions, of no influence on the society and culture.

对于上述种种成见,我总在两种想法间摇摆不定:一方面,仅仅因为相貌就将我或者其他任何人对号入座成这样的半机器人,这让我觉得受到了冒犯。但另一方面,我自己确实也发现了不少这样的亚洲人。

For the above mentioned prejudices, I have two ideas staggered: on one hand, I feel offended being cataloged into the group of semi-robot just because of the face. On the other hand, I do find out there are a lot of such Asians.

我来概括一下我对亚洲人价值观的感觉:去他的孝道,去他的好好学习天天向上,去他的非常春藤盟校不进,去他的尊重权威,去他的谦逊努力,去他的和睦关系,去他的为了未来牺牲现在,去他的虔诚努力的中产阶级奴性。
Let me summarize my feeling about an Asian’s value: filial piety, studying well, Evergreen ivys, respect to the authority, humble and industrial, harmonic relationship, sacrifice of present for future, and striving for slave-like middle class.

Original version for paragraph 4,5,6

Here is what I sometimes suspect my face signifies to other Americans: an invisible person, barely distinguishable from a mass of faces that resemble it. A conspicuous person standing apart from the crowd and yet devoid of any individuality. An icon of so much that the culture pretends to honor but that it in fact patronizes and exploits. Not just people “who are good at math” and play the violin, but a mass of stifled, repressed, abused, conformist quasi-robots who simply do not matter, socially or culturally.

I’ve always been of two minds about this sequence of stereotypes. On the one hand, it offends me greatly that anyone would think to apply them to me, or to anyone else, simply on the basis of facial characteristics. On the other hand, it also seems to me that there are a lot of Asian people to whom they apply.

Let me summarize my feelings toward Asian values: Fuck filial piety. Fuck grade-grubbing. Fuck Ivy League mania. Fuck deference to authority. Fuck humility and hard work. Fuck harmonious relations. Fuck sacrificing for the future. Fuck earnest, striving middle-class servility.

The translation does not have to go one-way. However, some version is better than others. This paper by Wesley Yang might not be the best article, but it is well written. The red color I marked shows the difference from my work. The original version is concise and decent. We may not always agree with the author in every aspect, but there is one thing for sure that his English is flawless. I found the Chinese translation is also excellent. Let us work hard to improve our English.

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”