与人名有关的习惯用语

来源: Learntoforget 2009-11-13 11:06:14 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2998 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Learntoforget ] 在 2009-11-14 06:21:18 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
The Real McCoy

Our boss Virgil is a very original person. He started a business from nothing, and now he’s a millionaire. Although he is such a man of means, he remains a sincere, helpful person. If any of his friends needs help, he’s the first to give it. He’s a true friend, the real McCoy.

He does all sorts of jobs in his company, from typing out his own letters to repairing big machines. He’s a jack of all trades. And he doesn’t bother about keeping up with the Joneses. He doesn’t care what people think of his life-style; he doesn’t have to have a lot of expensive things. He still drives the old car he bought ten years ago, and he sometimes wears jeans to work.

The real McCoy ----------
--------Meaning: a true example of something
--------Example: The large diamond in her ring isn’t an imitation. It’s the real McCoy.

To keep up with the Joneses -----
--------Meaning: to want the same nice things that other people have
--------Example: Kate and Ken just bought the same car as Mavis and Mick, the same drapes as Dinah and Dick, the same Chihuahua as Antonio and Antonia. They’re really keeping up with the Joneses.

A jack of all trades -------
--------Meaning: a person who can do many things
--------Example: Louise can fix TVs, paint houses, and build shelves. She’s a jack of all trades.

A man/woman of means ----
--------Meaning: a rich person
--------Example: My cousin has a business that makes a large profit every year. He’s a man of means.

To go Dutch -----------------
--------Meaning: to share the cost, to pay one’s own bill
--------Example: When I go out to eat with my friends, we usually go Dutch. This way everyone knows what he or she is spending.

A wise guy/A smart aleck -----
--------Meaning: someone who acts as if he or she knows everything and is often rude about it.
--------Example: Alexandra is such a smart aleck. She always thinks she’s right about everything and always makes you think that you’re wrong.
Example: Don’t be such a wise guy and act as if you know it all. Other people won’t like you.

Tom, Dick or Harry ------
--------Meaning: nobody special, just any person
--------Example: The boss was very careful about whom he hired for the job, and he interviewed several people. He didn’t just hire any Tom, Dick or Harry.

A man/girl Friday -----
--------Meaning: someone who does a large variety of tasks on the job
--------Example: Griselda wants to get some work experience, and she likes to do a lot of different things. So she’s gotten a job as a girl Friday at the local TV studio.

To run in the family-----
--------Meaning: to be characterized by something common to many members of a family
--------Example: Omar and his sister are both very thin. Being skinny must run in the family.

所有跟帖: 

Where is your reading? -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (148 bytes) () 11/13/2009 postreply 11:21:08

I'm very happy that you find it useful! :) -Learntoforget- 给 Learntoforget 发送悄悄话 (218 bytes) () 11/13/2009 postreply 11:49:29

学会了[A man/girl Friday]的涵义和用法。谢谢分享,周末快乐。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2009 postreply 19:49:42

My pleasure! Have a nice weekend! -Learntoforget- 给 Learntoforget 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/14/2009 postreply 06:14:25

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”