职场美语: Working Overtime (2) (音频文字)

来源: 纾珈 2011-02-23 09:57:07 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4686 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 纾珈 ] 在 2011-04-23 02:32:28 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

职场美语: Working Overtime (2) (音频文字) VOA ZT

星期五晚上,Jason和Wanda劝同事Larry不要老加班,应该劳逸结合。Larry却说,手头总有做不完的工作。

L: But I feel like I'm wasting time if I go home and watch TV...even if I'm reading a good book I still feel like I should be working!

J: You know Larry; you might be addicted to work.

L: Really? A person can get addicted to work?

J: Well, maybe it's not the same as being addicted to drugs, but many people believe you can get addicted to stress.

W: Yeah. If you find that you can't enjoy being at home and relaxing, it might be a problem.

Larry说,如果回家去看电视、读书,就会觉得自己是在浪费时间。Jason和Wanda都觉得,他简直是个工作狂addicted to work。原来,除了毒品会让人上瘾,addicted to drugs, 工作和疲劳同样会让人上瘾,addicted to work and addicted to stress. Larry继续说:

L: I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist. It irritates me when things aren't perfect.

J: Maybe you are too hard on yourself. If you were your own boss, would you demand such long hours?

L: No way...I think it would be illegal anyway.

J: Well then maybe you need to treat yourself better. You have to believe that you deserve to relax!

W: You not only deserve it, you need it. You know, I find that sometimes I have my best ideas in the strangest places.

The last time I had a really great idea, I was scuba diving on vacation!

Larry说自己的问题可能是过于追求完美。 Perfection意思是完美,后面加上-ist, perfectionist就是追求、崇尚完美的人。Jason说Larry对自己过于严格too hard on yourself,应该对自己好一些,treat yourself better.

L: But I want the boss to notice my devotion! The economy is not great these days and I don't want to get laid off!

W: Yeah, that's true. Some bosses do think the guy who puts in overtime is the most loyal. But smart bosses know that quantity is not as important as quality.

J: Besides, this is your job, not your life. You're too young to die of a heart attack!

L: Thanks guys! Your advice makes sense. I'm going to go home and have a nice long bath! See you on Monday!

Larry说,自己加班也是为了让老板注意到自己的敬业精神,my devotion. Devotion is spelled d-e-v-o-t-i-o-n, devotion. Wanda却说,聪明的老板都知道,工作数量的重要性远远赶不上质量。Quantity is not as important as quality. 再说了,按Jason的话说,This is your job, not your life. 这毕竟是你的工作,不是你生活的全部。Larry最后终于想通了,决定回家去,好好洗个热水澡。

Words and Phrases

1. 工作狂 addicted to work

2. 毒品上瘾 addicted to drugs

3.  工作和疲劳上瘾 addicted to work and addicted to stress

4. Perfection 完美

5. perfectionist 就是追求、崇尚完美的人

6. 自己好一些 treat yourself better

7. 工作数量的重要性远远赶不上质量。
Quantity is not as important as quality.

8.  This is your job, not your life.
这毕竟是你的工作,不是你生活的全部。

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 电影音画:An Affair to Remember 来源: 北京二号
  • 单词辨析: heartache & chest pain
  • 流行歌曲:2011年2月21日英语歌曲排行金曲(音频文字)
  • 英语测试:与[Heart]字有关的短语(多项选择)
  • 电影视频:5 Romance Films片断欣赏
  • 请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock