五百基础词汇复习(1)

来源: EnLearner 2011-09-26 22:03:07 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (8086 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2011-09-28 03:57:50 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Word Review #1

In the first six lessons you were taught 72 important words. The following exercises will test how well you learned some of those words.

A. In each of the parentheses below you will find two of the new vocabulary words. Pick the one that fits better.
Remember. the sentence should make good sense.
1. It was a (dense. typical) day in July. hot and sticky.
2. I could tell that Matt was coming because I knew his (blend. vapor) of tobacco.
3. Please realize that if you try to climb the icy mountain (peril. tradition) awaits you.
4. The mechanic (defected. detected) an oil leak in the engine.
5. How could you (recline. neglect) paying the rent?
6. Felix made a (sinister, frigid) remark which sent chills up and down my spine.
7. Many questions had to be answered before Mrs. Soto could (qualify, evade) for the job.
8. I am (unaccustomed, dismal) to receiving gifts from people I don't know very well.
9. Factory-made goods are plentiful, but farm products are (rural, scarce).
10.When he got to the jail, the people in charge tried to (reform, abandon) him.

B. Opposites. In Column I are ten words which were taught in Lessons 1-6. Match them correctly with
their cpposite meanings, which you will find in Column II.
Column I Column II
1.approach a. unseen
2.expensive b. filled
3.visible c. hated
4.popular d. dull
5.vacant e. dry
6.keen f. be seen
7.descend g. leave
8.humid h. not needed
9.vanish i. climb
10.essential j. cheap

C. Which of the vocabulary choices in parentheses fits best in these newspaper headlines?
1.Sailors __________ Sinking Ship (Defraud, Circulate, Abandon, Devise)
2.Congress Votes To Raise ___________ Wage (Hardship, Minimum, Typical, Rural)
3. _______ Fog Covers Bay Area (Dense, Thorough, Scarce, Keen)
4.Unfit Parents Arrested For Child ____________ (Defect, Tradition, Neglect. Theory)
5.Escaped Convict Continues To __________ Police (Abandon, Evade, Inhabit, Conceal)
6.College _________ Quiet After Demonstration (Client, Campus, Debate, Probe)
7.Mayor Takes _________ Of Office On Steps Of City Hall (Oath, Data, Majority, Reform)
8.Rescuers __________ Into Mine To Find Lost Workers (Descend, Assemble, Circulate, Recline)
9.New Apartment House To Rise On ___________ Land (Frigid, Comprehensive, Dense, Vacant)
10.Poll To ________ Outcome Of Election (Qualify, Predict, Tempt, Eliminate)

D. From the list of words below choose the word that means:
deceive tradition abandon persuade
thorough evade descend comprehensive
tempt assemble circulate beau
client dense predict devise
probe theory tact conceal
1. in large amounts as well as less costly
2. an evil doer but originally meant someone who lived on a farm
3. more than half as well as the legal age at which persons can manage their affairs
4. search or investigate either by means of an instrument or simply by questioning
5. cheat and also deprive someone of rights or property
6. give up on a plan as well as neglect one's post
7. gather (data) or just get together
8. reject and also expel
9. leaving out little or nothing and is related to the word for "understanding"
10. skill in dealing with people as well as a fine touch or cleverness

E. Letter of Complaint. The following business letter uses 10 words that appeared in lessons 1-6. Fill in the
blanks with those words, selected from the group below:

abandon conceal
annual defect
circulate defraud
comprehensive detect
employee
enormous
essential
evade
expensive
gallant
hardship
majority
neglect
recline
tempt
wholesale

13 Oak Street
Menick, NY 11566
April 2, 1996
Speedy Catalog Service
200 Beverly Road
Champaign, Il 61821

Dear Sirs:

Three weeks ago, I bought a 13 Royal TV set (Item #996R) from your catalog, which had featured an
_1_c1earance sale at_2_savings. I am enclosing a copy of the $115 money order that I sent to you.
When my father and I unpacked the set, we_3_(ed) several_4_(s), including a scratched screen and a
boken volume dial. Since that was not my fault, I believe that I am entitled to receive a new set.
It was a __ 5_for me to save part of my weekly allowance for six months in order to pay for the TV, and I
would appreciate your help in this matter. Even though it is not an __ 6_set, and I was getting it at a
_7_price, I still feel that the merchandise should be perfect.

Obviously, one of your_8_(s) had_9_(d) to do a 10 inspection before the TV was shipped to my home.

Sincerely, Arthur
Kames

F. Words That Do Double Duty. Some of the words in this book can be used as different parts of speech. The sample sentences for the word gallant show it to be an adjective, a word that describes a noun or pronoun:

gallant oath
gallant knight Ed
is so gallant.

However, gallant can be used as a noun when we say: "The gallant, dressed in his finery, approached the
queen."

The following words from Lessons 1-6 are capable of serving as more than one part of speech:
abandon (v., n.) burden (n., v.)
hardship (n., adj.) debate (n., v.)
wager (n., v.) probe (n., v.)
annual (n., adj.) reform (v., adj.)
blend (n., v.) neglect (n., v.)

Make up two sentences for each of the above words, showing how it could be used as two different parts of
speech.

Examples: After I wasted two months, I had to abandon (v.) the project.
At the party, Edith danced with reckless abandon (n.).

G. Analogies. These comparisons are part of many vocabulary tests, including the SAT. You are given one set of
comparisons, such as tal/:short (opposites) and asked to find a corresponding word from among the four choices to go with wise. Is it smart, foolish, sad, dream)/? Since the cpposite of wise is foolish, that is the one you would select. If the first comparisons were rich:successfui (synonyms), then you would pick wise:smart . When reading the questions, keep in mind that the colon replaces the words "is to." For example, "commence is to start as misfortune is to ?

1. commence:start as misfortune:
a. windfall b. bad luck c. beginning d. crisis
2. expensive:cheap as villain:
a. robber b. lawyer c. hero d. arch itect
3. deceive:mislead as thorough:
a. complete b. traditional c. varied d. frigid
4. data:computer as corpse:
a. dead body b. coffin c. shrubbery d. burden
5. debate:argument as client
a. customer b. employee c. beau d. bachelor
6. oath:courtroom as debate:
a. tradition b. auditorium c. laboratory d. rejection
7. investigation:probe as burden:
a. relief b. box c.load d. theory
8. dismal:sunny as keen:
a. razor-sharp b. sensitive c.dense d.dull
9.peril:mountain climbing as tradition:
a. mind reading b. exploration c. culture d. creation
10. neglectignore as descend:
a. go down b. go up c. inherit d. give away

所有跟帖: 

谢谢愚教授! 争取明天做。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/26/2011 postreply 22:35:15

今天还是太忙,好在是复习。刚才听了一点idioms。一如既往的喜欢!谢谢。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (94 bytes) () 09/27/2011 postreply 23:00:19

答案:五百基础词汇复习(1) -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (1143 bytes) () 09/28/2011 postreply 19:14:18

五百基础词汇复习(1)答案: -美语世界- 给 美语世界 发送悄悄话 美语世界 的博客首页 (106 bytes) () 09/28/2011 postreply 19:14:32

Thank you! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2011 postreply 20:47:27

谢谢愚公! -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/29/2011 postreply 11:02:37

小薇周末好! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/29/2011 postreply 20:31:44

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”