我的词汇作业和造句--五百基础词汇的使用和练习(5)

来源: beautifulwind 2011-09-13 19:24:33 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5651 bytes)
回答: 五百基础词汇的使用和练习(5)EnLearner2011-09-12 19:09:18

Words to Learn This Week

tradition
rural
burden
campus
majority
assemble
explore
topic
debate
evade
probe
reform

Read the following story to see how the new words are used in it.

Each summer at the Shaker Work Group, a special school in rural Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where teenagers learn by working, it has been a tradition to have the teenagers take on the burden of setting their own rules and living by them. Although there are some adults on the campus, teenagers are a majority.

One summer the group assembled to explore the topic of lights-out time. There was little debate until 10:30 P.M. was suggested. Why? Everyone at the Shaker Work Group works a minimum of several hours each morning on one project and several hours each afternoon on another. Since everyone has to get up early, no one wanted to stay up later at night anyway.

Few teenagers at the Shaker Work Group try to evade the rules. When one does, the entire group meets to probe the reasons for the "villain's" actions. Their aim is to reform the rule breaker. However, at Shaker Village, the theory is that teenagers who are busy working will have no time to break rules.

Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.

01. I left the city for a peaceful _rural_______ farm.
02. Professor Dixon liked the atmosphere of the university _campus________ .
03. He tried to _evade_______ questions he didn't know how to answer.
04. The majority_______ of people wanted him to be president.
05. The guests began to __assemble______ for Thanksgiving dinner.
06. Christmas trees are a popular __tradition_______ for many people.
07. Making a living for his family was too much of a _burden_________ .
08. I want to explore all the cities I haven't visited. --------
09. If Gene doesn't __reform______ , he will get into serious trouble.
10. He had to do research on the _topic________ of biology for a school report.
11. Historians will probe the causes of the war in Bosnia. --------
12. Whether or not eighteen-year-olds should be allowed to vote was in __debate_________ for a long time.

Exercise
Now make up your own sentences, one for each of the new words you have just been taught.

You may enjoy the rural life if you visit the village.

He is living in a dorm on campus.

He is trying to evade his responsibily on this matter.

She devotes the majority of her spare time to the forum.

Little kids enjoy assembling plastic bricks made my Lego.

Eating mooncakes is a popular tradition for Mid-Autumn festival.

To do the translation homework daily is too much of a burden for me.

To explore cities abroad is more and more popular for Chinese.

To reform a new policy is not easy for Obama's administration.

It is to sing an English song for the topic of this Mid-Autumn activity organized by Wenqing.

They are going to probe the reason why so many people quit the job at the same time.

To increase bonus instead of salary is still in debate.

所有跟帖: 

Lol... -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (222 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 20:56:32

这句话我表达的对吗?It is to sing an English song for the topic of this Mi -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (283 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 21:02:42

How about "...to sing a song for celebratinng the Mid-Autumn Fes -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (113 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 21:27:45

How about: The topic of this activity organized by Wenqing is to -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (113 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 21:31:42

The activity orgazized by Wenqing is to sing an English song for -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (821 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 21:57:49

Thanks,Yugong,point taken. I understand how important it is to c -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (68 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:33:22

my try: -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (754 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:35:40

哦,忘了topic, 再来 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (815 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:37:49

创意很棒! probe是investigation的意思。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (101 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:42:19

哈哈,这不是瞎造句吗? -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (138 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:46:51

牛!!! -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 23:00:12

Very creative, 牛! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 22:45:04

typo:made BY Lego. -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2011 postreply 21:04:26

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”