职场美语: kickbacks 回扣 (3)(音频文字)

来源: 纾珈 2011-05-23 06:46:40 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3840 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 纾珈 ] 在 2011-06-06 20:06:53 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: 职场美语: kickbacks 回扣 (2)(音频文字)纾珈2011-05-23 06:32:32

职场美语: kickbacks 回扣 (3)(音频文字)ZT

项目主管Donny急冲冲地来找老板Simon,因为公司即将竣工的加工厂突然遇到了麻烦,当地质检官员以建设标准不合格为由,索取贿赂,Simon表示,这个钱坚决不能给。Donny问要怎么办?

D: What would you like me to do?

S: How much does this lowlife inspector want?

D: About 2,500 dollars, sir.

S: Well, I'm going to spend that same amount on lawyers and we're going to sue this guy!

Simon问,那个质检官员想要多少钱。Simon用lowlife来形容此人,lowlife is spelled l-o-w-l-i-f-e, lowlife意思是卑鄙的,下流的。原来,此人要价并不高,只要两千五百美元就能解决问题。Simon决定,就用这笔钱来sue this guy把此人告上法庭。

D: You want to take legal action against him?

S: That's right. Call our legal department and tell them to get a team and get down there.

D: Maybe I can get the on-site manager to record their conversation. Then we'll have evidence.

S: Good idea! But don't forget, our best evidence is our building. It's completely up to standard so if it's re-inspected, anyone can see we are following the law.

D: That's true. The building will speak for itself.

对某人提出诉讼,可以说sue someone, 也可以说to take legal action against someone. Donny建议把跟质检官员的对话偷偷录下来,做为证据,evidence. 不过,Simon强调说,我们的工程才是最有力的证据。因为这一工程完全符合标准, completely up to standard。Donny也说,the building will speak for itself. speak for itself, 无需解释,明摆着的,意思是建筑工程就摆在那里,是最有说服力的证据。

S: And tell the legal team not to cut any corners and to proceed with this case by the book. We are sending a message here that bribery won't be tolerated.

D: Wow, sir! I've never seen you so worked up.

S: Well, I'm sick and tired and I'm not going to put up with this anymore! Let's get this bad guy!

D: I'm on it, sir!

Simon说,让律师们不要cut corners, cut corners意思是偷工减料,一切要按法律上的规定去办,by the book意思是严格遵守法律。Donny从来没见老板Simon如此激动过,I've never seen you so worked up. worked is spelled w-o-r-k-e-d, worked up,是激动的意思。Simon说,I'm sick and tired,在这里,sick and tired不是我又病又累,而是指厌倦了某件事情。Simon还说,I'm not going to put up with this. put up with something,指忍受一件事情。Donny最后说,I'm on it,意思是交给我吧,我这就去办。

Words and Phrases

1. lowlife
卑鄙的,下流的。

2. sue this guy
把此人告上法庭。

3. 对某人提出诉讼
sue someone, 也可以说to take legal action against someone.

4. 证据
evidence

5. 完全符合标准
completely up to standard

6. The building will speak for itself.
speak for itself, 无需解释,明摆着的,意思是建筑工程就摆在那里,是最有说服力的证据。

7. cut corners
偷工减料

8. 一切要按法律上的规定去办
by the book意思是严格遵守法律

9. 我从来没见你如此激动过.
I've never seen you so worked up. worked up,是激动的意思。