【周末老电影】Save the Last Dance

来源: lilac09 2010-12-19 11:58:00 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (11858 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ lilac09 ] 在 2010-12-20 05:23:37 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Got immature once more this weekend by watching a teen movie: Save the Last Dance. I always have a thing for dancing movies. Feel frisky and young after watching those snappy dancing moves. Can’t help wiggling and twisting afterwards.

The story is very formulaic and predictive. You can tell the results from the very beginning but the performance is not very corny. For pure entertainment and relaxation, watch it. For brain teasing, skip it.

It is about this suburban white girl Sara (Julia Stiles) who fights all odds to realize her dream of becoming a prima ballerina. The story starts with Sara’s first audition for the Juilliard School. She fails and her mom gets killed in a car accident when she rushes over to attend her daughter’s most important audition. Sara’s ballet dream shatters after mom’s death. She also lives under the heavy guilt of getting her mom killed because of her stupid audition.

After mom’s death, Sara has to move to live with her long-time estranged dad who lives in a run-down apartment in a Chicago black ghetto. The neighborhood is full of drugs, drive-by shooting and gangs. The school she attended is all black students. She is the only white girl and feels totally out of place until she is befriended by a black classmate Chenille and her brother - Derek. After the initial brief conflict with Derek, Sara becomes attracted to this smart and caring young man. Derek is a natural hip-hop dancer who teaches Sara how to do hip-hop after school. Sparks fly between them. Derek helps Sara pick up her dream of ballerina and ace in her second audition for Juilliard school.

Almost from beginning you can see the results but there are still interesting clashes worth watching through out the movie:
Black culture vs. white culture: white people say,” your coat is cool”, black people say “It ‘s slamming”;

suburban white girl vs. inner city black boy;

Elegant ballet vs. raw hip-hop dance;

Choice between paying debt for a gang friend and conscience;

Genuine love vs. oppositions from family/friends on their relationship: even Derek’s sister – Sara’s friend is against it. Black & white is like milk and oil. Can’t mix together.

Maybe it is a cliché, maybe not. Quite some black women feel somehow offended when they see a white woman dating a decent black man. For them, it seems that Sarah just creeps into their world and steals one of few decent black guys left after drugs, drive-by and jail-in. It is not just an insult to Derek's ex. It is for all the black women. I feel the complaint is legitimate to some degree.

Although racial segregation and racial discrimination have been repealed from laws for more than half century, I can still feel nowadays in US black people and white people are kinda alienated in two totally different worlds. It is nice that the movie doesn’t shy away from the issue by sugar coating some naive interracial teen romance here. Instead the movie lets Chenille - Sara’s best black female friend and Derek's sister vent the complaint and frustration on this relationship, which makes deeper perspective on the black/white social issues.

Anyway, like all fairy tale love movies, Sara and Derek eventually rise to all the challenges and live up to their dreams. ~~~

The best part I like about the movie is the dancing part and sound track. They gel up two types of music: classical music and hip-hop one as well as two types of dancing together. It is pretty fun and cool. I even danced (or twisted my body awkwardly to be more accurate haha~~) to the music at the end. Oh, babe, save the last dance for me cuz it feels so good. 

All or Nothing
Here's the

Chance of life
Get ready, set, fly high
Above the fear of your mind
Go for it, it's hit or miss
Too late for youto quit
You gotta show 'em how bad
You really want this

Live your dreams
It's not as hard as it may seem
You gotta work to get the cream
On your hopes you must lean
From your fears

You have to wean yourself
It's all or nothin'
Give your everything

You are, what you believe
You got to bring the heat
Set the pace
Competition take a leap
This is it, all eyes on you
So stay on point and prove
That you deserve
What's long overdue

Live your dreams
From your fears
It's all or nothin'
Give your everything

My heart is still recovering
From the heartbreak
Of another kind
I'm still drying my tears
Getting over my own fears
So I want to make
Sure this time
That I'm strong enough
To give it my all

Live your dreams
From your fears
It's all or nothin'
Give your everything

Live your dreams
From your fears
It's all or nothin'
Give your everything

Live your dreams
From your fears
It's all or nothin'
Give your everything

You know you've got
To live your dreams
So don't you be afraid
Just set the pace
And take the lead
It's your time to shine
Please believe

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>

• 'Sock' Ball
  • Why guys gossip?
  • 【围脖前言】
  • 【热影辣评】 赵氏孤儿 - 叫俺怎么说你才好捏
  • 【评头论足】Review on 'I Have No Enemies'
  • 所有跟帖: 

Sofa~~like your write-up but cann't see the pics~ -千与.千寻- 给 千与.千寻 发送悄悄话 千与.千寻 的博客首页 (56 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 12:15:01

圣诞快乐小千,也买了两斤毛栗子,准备装贤惠的说~~ :) -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 12:41:14

like this movie because I like Julia Stiles -好学又好问- 给 好学又好问 发送悄悄话 好学又好问 的博客首页 (135 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 13:50:29

Thanks 好学 mm. I like Julia too. -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (292 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 16:20:29

也祝妹妹全家过节好。新年妙笔生花节节高~~ -好学又好问- 给 好学又好问 发送悄悄话 好学又好问 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 18:18:06

Sis, Merry Christmas.妙笔生辉,精彩影评。 -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (706 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 14:22:18

美图美曲,谢谢mm~. Merry Christmas to you and your family~~ -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (122 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 16:27:14

Thanks for the beautiful Christmas card. -婉蕠- 给 婉蕠 发送悄悄话 婉蕠 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 12/20/2010 postreply 06:15:46

Wonderful writing. Thanks for sharing. -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (690 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 16:22:42

谢谢愚公大人。圣诞快乐,那个啥~~ -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (453 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 16:37:40

回复:【周末老电影】Save the Last Dance -selfselfself- 给 selfselfself 发送悄悄话 selfselfself 的博客首页 (468 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 17:11:19

哈哈,your dance is way much better than my writing~~. Happy Holida -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 17:17:24

MM的文笔实在是太好了,不顶不行啊~ -laiyin- 给 laiyin 发送悄悄话 laiyin 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 18:20:44

呵呵~谢谢~~夸的俺都有点挂不住了,上升空间还很辽阔高远的说~~ -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 19:53:16

Want to see lilac's the Last Dance... -走马读人- 给 走马读人 发送悄悄话 走马读人 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 18:40:47

If one day you want to be scared to death, call me. 老马~ :) -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2010 postreply 19:55:28

不敢比呀,不过已经开始写英文twitter了,争取短小精悍,与时俱进的说~ :) -lilac09- 给 lilac09 发送悄悄话 lilac09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2010 postreply 11:33:51

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
    选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
    选择“don't run on pages on this domain”