Singer, Pianist & Composer Nellie McKay

来源: 北京二号 2010-12-09 21:38:41 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4823 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 北京二号 ] 在 2010-12-10 04:28:52 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Singer Nellie McKay
Nellie McKay

450) this.width=450" controls="ControlPanel" loop="true" autostart="1" volume="0" initfn="load-types" mime-types="mime.types" />

"I was initially attracted to her optimism and gaiety" says McKay of Doris Day. "Her approach to life is irresistible."

Every time Nellie McKay releases a new album, I think, this is exactly the kind of music that, if it came from anyone else, I'd find arch, fluffy, coy, and irritating. Yet McKay is batting a thousand with me: her Doris Day tribute is eccentric yet utterly disarming, a strong chunk of work lifted by lightness and delicacy. McKay's phrasing is often airy but never air-headed. She presents herself as a willful eccentric but the control she maintains with her soaring high notes and conversational phrasing is the work of a meticulous artist.

McKay's admiration for Doris Day should not come as a surprise. Both have presented public images that are cheerful and plucky. Neither are afraid to smile and act happy-go-lucky when all around them, people were frowning and worried. Both are underrated. Day's novelty pop hits and her sillier romantic comedies with Rock Hudson have for many people obscured her fine, dexterous big-band vocalizing. For McKay, her simple lack of great commercial success, along with her refusal to over-decorate her music with extravagant phrasing in the American Idol manner, have kept her a cult artist. On this album, Day and McKay are an unbeatable team, sisters in bright-eyed intelligence.

On this album, Day and McKay are an unbeatable team, sisters in bright-eyed intelligence.

One of the few truly melancholy songs on this collection is McKay's version of "I Remember You." Written for the 1942 movie The Fleet's In, its Johnny Mercer lyric is, on one level, a lovely hymn to death, as the singer speaks of a time angels ask her "to recall/the thrill of it all," and she turns her attention to her lover, saying simply, "I remember you." The way McKay sings it, you can hear the undertow of dread and bliss beneath the beauty.

Among pop artists aware of how covering pre-rock music is perceived by a post-rock audience, McKay is like a young Bette Midler without the irony; like a Tiny Tim without the camp; a Rufus Wainwright without the campy irony. McKay can choose the George and Ira Gershwin song "Do Do Do" and you never have to worry that she's going to reduce the song's playful triple-repetitions of key words to mere novelty.

The one song not associated with Doris Day here, "If I Ever Had a Dream," was written by McKay, and it emphasizes the success of this entire enterprise. The last thing Nellie McKay is is Normal as Blueberry Pie. But listening to her, she lets you share a desire to be as normal as blueberry pie yourself. It's both impossible and wonderful to contemplate, a combination that courses through every song on this album.

所有跟帖: 

喜欢播音员的语速,知道了歌手Nellie McKay,谢分享。 -斓婷- 给 斓婷 发送悄悄话 斓婷 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/10/2010 postreply 06:46:10

斓婷,高兴你喜欢。 -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (93 bytes) () 12/10/2010 postreply 18:26:34

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”