Qian Wei-Chang (final)

来源: waveline 2010-08-01 10:47:34 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1647 bytes)
Qian Wei-Chang, the world-renowned applied mathematician & solid mechanics scientist, passed away this morning. He is best known as one of the China's three-Qian, and is the last one departing. For these giants I always cherish great respect. So I am writing this article as the last esteem paid to this great man.

Qian was made a Rightist for his courageous criticism on China's education reform in the 1950s, he was thus deprived of the right of teaching at the University, and arranged to be responsible for cleaning lab for one year followed by working at a plant.

And during the period of the work reforming at the plant, because of his expertise and overseas experience, he was requested by Premier Zhou En-Lai to join a delegation, which was to be sent out to UK,US, and etc for visiting and exchanging as a necessary move and sign of China's new foreign policy in the early 1970s.

In 1983 Qian was commissioned to be the President of Shanghai Polytechnic University, what is now known as the Shanghai University. This was a life-long offer made by the then veteran powerful leader: Deng Xiao-Ping. Most probably he could be honoured as the world's oldest university president.

With his devotion and sustained reform, the original technical university has now developed into a comprehensive university, and in many areas, the roles of the university are now
indispensable..........................

No life on the earth is immortal, he has thus been passed away. But for sure he will be remembered for the contributions he made for his life-long-served society. Thank you the great being!

所有跟帖: 

My 2 cents, would love to discuss -selfselfself- 给 selfselfself 发送悄悄话 selfselfself 的博客首页 (2125 bytes) () 08/01/2010 postreply 12:51:29

回复:My 2 cents, would love to discuss -waveline- 给 waveline 发送悄悄话 (51 bytes) () 08/01/2010 postreply 18:06:14

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”