英语名篇:Three Passions I Have Lived For

来源: 紫君 2009-03-09 18:11:52 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2671 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 紫君 ] 在 2009-03-10 19:54:04 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

英语名篇:Three Passions I Have Lived For
作者:Bertrand Russell

常常思索生活的你,是否想过为何而生呢?对爱情的渴望,对知识的追求,对人类苦难的同情是支配我一生的三种单纯而强烈的感情。如果有来生,我将再次欣然接受这难得的赐予……

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a great ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate this evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.

Bertrand Russell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970), was a British philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, advocate for social reform, and pacifist.

In 1950, Russell was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, "in recognition of his varied and significant writings in which he champions humanitarian ideals and freedom of thought."

所有跟帖: 

Very good article, here I read... ... -梅石莹玉- 给 梅石莹玉 发送悄悄话 梅石莹玉 的博客首页 (2093 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:25:43

感谢梅石莹玉精彩的朗诵。晚安。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:35:20

感谢your continuous supply of good writings. Night~ -梅石莹玉- 给 梅石莹玉 发送悄悄话 梅石莹玉 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:36:22

My pleasure. Good night. -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:38:02

impromptu reading - good -billnet- 给 billnet 发送悄悄话 billnet 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:48:13

I can not agree with you more. Have a nice evening. -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:49:57

回复:I can not agree with you more. Have a nice evening. -billnet- 给 billnet 发送悄悄话 billnet 的博客首页 (252 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 19:59:06

谢谢你的归纳总结。好文共享,其乐无穷。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2009 postreply 20:01:29

thank you. -梅石莹玉- 给 梅石莹玉 发送悄悄话 梅石莹玉 的博客首页 (36 bytes) () 03/10/2009 postreply 20:39:26

Thanks for sharing -carpediem- 给 carpediem 发送悄悄话 carpediem 的博客首页 (187 bytes) () 03/11/2009 postreply 09:46:01

谢谢carpediem 分享。 -紫君- 给 紫君 发送悄悄话 紫君 的博客首页 (84 bytes) () 03/11/2009 postreply 11:05:05

you are welcome -carpediem- 给 carpediem 发送悄悄话 carpediem 的博客首页 (107 bytes) () 03/12/2009 postreply 09:16:20

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”