英语拾零: Wood Related English Idioms

来源: YuGong 2009-01-24 06:04:35 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3029 bytes)

not be out of the wood/woods

to continue having difficulties although a situation has improved. Financially, things are looking distinctly more hopeful, but we're not out of the woods yet.

can't see the wood for the trees (British, American & Australian, American & Australian)

if someone can't see the wood for the trees, they are unable to understand what is important in a situation because they are giving too much attention to details. After you've spent years researching a single topic you get to a point where you can't see the wood for the trees.

dead wood

people in a group or organization who are not useful any more and who need to be removed. There's a lot of dead wood in the team which needs to be cleared out.

knock (on) wood

I hope my good luck will continue. We haven't had any problems with the car so far, knock on wood. I'm expecting, knock wood, to be offered the job next week.
Usage notes: used when you think difficulties are likely

touch wood (British, American & Australian, American)

something that you say when you want your luck or a good situation to continue. It's been fine all week and, touch wood, it'll stay fine for the weekend. We haven't had any problems with the car so far, knock on wood. 

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 英文歌曲:Let's Face the Music and Dance
  • You Belong With Me
  • 英文歌曲:Pretty Things
  • 每天英语背诵 (01-20-09) (ZT)
  • 英文歌曲:I Wanna Dance With Somebody
  • 请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus